Quality tourists over qunatiy (again)

rickfarang

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that you guys have made those observations about KSR.

I had never been in the KSR area except for one Songkhran (and that doesn't count because it's all shuttered up and all the rest of it) but I heard enough about it; the videos, forgery merchants; 'crazy farang' people; cheap music and movie DVDs; another resting post on the Lonely Planet rite of passage that is 'travelling'. I've seen 'The Beach' (crap film) and even read the book (good novel, good ideas that begged to be explored a little further) and it looked and sounded like a good place to go if that is your thing. Not my thing. Somebody's.

I had to go down there one Saturday in November. Some young 'uns were down there and Uncle Carew had to drag his sorry arse all the way from Rayong to meet them.

Well...I couldn't help wondering, 'Is this it? It can't be, surely? Where's the buzz?'

It all seemed a bit packaged and marketed. I'm an old fucker but I ain't that old. It's only 6 years since I was in Thamel in Kathmandu - very much the same sort of backpacker flocking point - and I thought, 'Fuck me. I'm in Old Compton Street ain't I?' (Soho, London. Wine bar, restaurant and media - meeja sorry - district.)

Poncy bars I saw. Well posh. Where's the burned out 1000 yard stare hippy bastards? In the fucking Armani shop?

It all gets sold back to us in the end.

I know. I remember punk.

...KSR...looked and sounded like a good place to go if that is your thing. Not my thing. Somebody's.

I concur. And right unfriendly, too, I'll add. I went down there for some fun on my own. I never have any issues meeting groups of people to have fun with in middle class or upmarket Thai or expat bars. But not so here. Everyone was locked into their own little cocoon and hardly even smiled. And I tried several bars to be sure. Feh, back to Thonglor, Lang Suan, Rachada and RCA for me...

Cheers,

SD

Archived