How many Salons have sponsors paid for...?

mattwasp

Just a quick poll.. it dawned on me that the aspirations of most girls is to open their own salon. Now, if we take the number of working girls and number of farangs and assume for interests sake that they all went through with it - surely Thailand would be nothing but beauty salons?

Have you or a scamee you know paid into a salon fund?

Yeah, me.

I paid for the furnishings, electrical and plumbing, new front door/window. About 30-35,000 baht.

But my girl paid for 8 months of school, 23,000 baht, out of her own pocket 1st, by borrowing from her village fund. I reimbursed her after she graduated. She now works her shop 7 days/week, 12 hours/day.

She has since rented her whole building and turned the 2nd and 3rd floors into 5 small rooms that she rents out. Basically covers the rent on her shop and maybe 2K/month over rent. The shop pulls in anywhere from 6-10K/month profit.

Bottom line:

School: 23,000 baht

Shop: 35,000 baht

The value of her sense of self-worth and the face that she gained by having legitimate employment, being her own bass and being able to hire friends and family: priceless

OK Joking aside,

I don't know personally of anyone who has gone down this route but in Pattaya it happens on a frequent basis.

An expat who often drinks in the same bar as we do operates a Salon School as a front for his actual money maker "Stylist to Expat Wives and Rich Thais" since it is a protected trade in Thailand. From what he tells us at least 2-3 times a week he is getting Sponsors and their new found love of their life coming in and wanting to pay Cash in advance to register for his school.

So the bottom line is not only does it go on quite a lot, there are farangs over here making money out of it too.

I've known two Farangs who paid for their BG to become a hair dresser and one who paid for his gal to become a seamstress. All three gals did give the business a real try, but ultimately they ended up back in the bars. The reason? They were working long hours for less money a month than they could make in a couple of days in a bar.

On the positive side, the gals did have something to fall back on when they got too old for shuffling. At least they wouldn't have to go the mamasan route.

Hi,

Paid about 80% of my wife's first salon. She paid all for her second.

She also paid for all her education (about 4 years at different schools and courses).

The new salon is doing okay-ish, but not nearly as good as we hoped it would do. Good location, but the second building which the owner promised would open in Sep'06 still has not opened. At least the architects office next door is pretty much done and a new condominium is being build right opposite of her shop (and that will not have a salon; will likely be another year before it's finished though).

Sanuk!

Archived