Is retiring to the LOS losing its appeal?

short-time

Primarily, the reason is that it is harder doing nothing than going to work each day. ...[snip]... The only way I could feel comfortable living there would be to busy myself doing some part time business ...

Walletss brings up the key worry for any man who was highly active during his working years.

I wondered, too, before I made the move to Thailand 2-1/2 years ago.

One of my first activities on coming here was to start a serious program of learning Thai language.

At the time, it was just a survival activity.

I had no idea what an excellent answer it would be to the retirement question.

Learning Thai has turned out to be a fascinating activity.

It is interesting, challenging, and immediately useful.

I consider it like a half-time job.

For any man wondering what to do -- besides golf and the usual entertainment around here -- I recommend learning the language.

I promise you won't be bored, for, oh, at least the first 5 years.

And before someone comes offers that lame excuse of, "I'm too old to learn a new language," I will say that I was 60 when I started in on Thai.

My brain is working better now than the day I retired.

And the more I progress with the language, the more appealing Thailand becomes as my retirement location.

(If any specific questions about the approach I am using to learn the language, you are welcome to contact me by email or private topic message.)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, Thailand sucks. Your much better off going to Arizona or Mexico or Greece!

What are you guys smoking! N. America, Europe is HELL! Plain and simple. Thailand is not without it's problems just like anywhere else but it's paradise in comparison. Your never gonna find the perfect place and anywhere cheap is ALWAYS going to have lot's of the little nagging problems.

GET OVER IT! The sleaze of Pattaya and construction of BKK getting you down? Move into the countryside. Bored! Do something! It's not like Thailand has NOTHING to do for Budda's sakes!

Currencies fluctuate. That's just what they do! If your budget is soooo tight that you cannot handle the fluctuations then you don't have enough money to retire. Maybe do something to supplement that like teaching!

Bangkok is just such a battle - and for sure, it is not the sort of place I would want to retire - at least as far as my personal perception of retirement goes.

I find myself agreeing with Stickman on most things he writes, but, on this, allow me to take the opposite side of the question.

I'll compare Bangkok to single-malt Scotch:

an acquired taste, but once acquired, anything else pales by comparison.

At first I thought exactly as Stick said above: "such a battle", indeed.

Not the sort of place for me either.

On first arriving in Thailand, staying in Bangkok was just for a few weeks to learn the territory, before heading down to Pattaya/Jomtien to find the perfect condo and live happily ever after.

But ... 2-1/2 years later I am still in Bangkok, still in exactly the same soi as the day I arrived.

Why?

• There is a vibrancy about this city that is endlessly fascinating. Not always beautiful. Not always convenient. But never, ever, boring.
    -
  • Living in Bangkok -- long time -- puts me into the same milieu as the Thais who work here. There has gradually, but steadily, built up a warm welcome from them, "We're all in this together."
    -
  • Location is the key to enjoying Bangkok. Everywhere I go in Bangkok, I look carefully. 98% of this city I wouldn't care to stay in at all. But there are several, very appealing neighborhoods. They don't look so lovely, but once you get to know the people, and they get to know you, it's like living in a village. Yet it is a village with all the conveniences of a cosmopolitan city.

Once in a while I go up country.

And I look around and think and wonder, "What would it be like to live here?"

So far, I'm always happy to get back to my little village right in the middle of Bangkok.

Yes, the appeal of retirement living in Bangkok is a minority opinion, but, if anyone has specific questions about life here so far, you are welcome to contact me by email or private topic message.

However, because this is a public forum, I won't reveal my personal choice of location in the city.

However, I left Bangkok for 2 reasons. One was construction of 2 high rise buildings had begun very close to my apartment. Construction lasted 24 hours a day most days, including Sundays. My wonderful apartment became an impossible place to be.

Thanks, Tiger Moth, for posting about that.

I hear an endless refrain, from Thais and expats alike, that I should save money and buy a condo.

But when I read or hear about experiences like that above, that I am more convinced than ever to keep on renting.

I thought I would enjoy Pattaya but, I don't. I live a fair distance from the night life but it is still in your face more than I would like.

Another "thank you" goes out to Tiger Moth.

My original plan was to head to Pattaya/Jomtien and settle in there.

That didn't happen and I've stayed in Bangkok the entire 2-1/2 years.

However, I've made repeated trips down to Pattaya and looked around carefully, comparing and wondering about living there, instead of in Bangkok.

For exactly the sorts of reasons that Tiger Moth described, I've never been tempted.

If you don't retire to Thailand, what better alternative do you have?

That is the question, isn't it?

I, too, had a look at The Philippines before coming here.

Also evaluated Mexico, Belize, several locations in the Eastern Caribbean and a few other places.

Maybe Thailand is losing some of it's appeal, but, in my opinion, it is still the most appealing retirement location I've been able to find.

By far.

Tiger Moth Said:

â??I thought I would enjoy Pattaya but, I don't. I live a fair distance from the night life but it is still in your face more than I would like. â??

If I was going to retire in Thailand, I would prefer Pattaya over Bangkok. Even though I park myself in South Pattaya when I am there, I would not live in that area on a permanent basis. The constant sleaze would annoy me eventually..

When I am in Pattaya I watch Pattaya People TV and listen to the plugs Nils the host gives to various establishments. He doesnâ??t bother with p4p activities at all. The show is focused around the alternatives to p4p activities.

Last time I saw the show I saw some older English guys who were attending functions with their equally vintaged English wives, They had migrated to Pattaya to live. As far as how many of those western couples live there, I wouldnâ??t know but if they can find peace and tranquility somewhere on the outskirts of Pattaya, then so could we.

I am no real estate expert but I would be surprised if there were not parts of Pattaya where one could live without bumping into hookers and katoeys hanging around your home.

Retirement,

Not that it is something likely to occur within the near future but I would probably retire in Thailand for the simple reason it has been home for nearly the last 16 years and I have been in Asia for the last 19 years now. Considering I will be 43 in a couple of months the majority of my adult life has been spent here.

To many people I probably come across as "The Lucky Bastard", Working for a MNC on an expat package, 75% of my salary goes into offshore accounts / investments, Thai wife from an average middle class family, ie my Doctor, Dentist and Solicitor are all relatives, apartment in CBD of Bankgok paid for Cash (Dec 1997 exchange rates)and the wife has 10 Rai of land in Rangsit area of Bangkok we will probably develop for our retirement in 12-15 years time.

As far as required investments / income equation, I have always used pre-97 exchange rates as a barometer, 25 Baht / USD 40 Baht / GBP, anything more and I would be deluding myself and leaving myself open for hardship in later life. Thats what it was for the first 6 years I was here and it would not suprise me if we didn't see those rates again before I consider retirement.

As for the Bangkok / Pattaya argument, I personally prefer Bangkok. As other posters have said after the initial first few years here the naughty nightlife becomes less important to ones overall happiness. Whilst not wanting to appear as an Oracle of information on this subject, I probably have a better insight than most on it, at 6AM on a Monday morning I leave Bangkok for work on the ESB, I spend 4 nights a week in Pattaya and on a Friday evening I leave the office and go back to Bangkok for 3 nights.

IMHO Bangkok has so much more to offer me personaly, as a non bar hopping, non naughty nightlife happily married expat, but these are only my circumstances and my requirements, after all we are all different.

Not too much mentioned on buying/owning home. Or buying/owning condo. Yes, some.

I read nothing about transprtation. Are we assuming all who retire in LOS purchase an automobile? Or do most live on/near taxi/baht bus lines?

Some marry Thai gal. Some stay single. This may or may not make a difference.

I did get a chance to have some talks with Sid and Izzy in Bangkok. Both were single.

Riding a motobike around Pattaya may sound like a good inexpensive mode of transportation. But I witnessed one 'older' farang fall off a motobike going around a corner onto 2nd Road. And he took a good spill. No other vehicles involved. He appeared to just lean too much on turn and bike fell over.

I presently live in a rural area (not in LOS) and it is nice and quiet. But my area has zero amenities. The cities in LOS just offer more. From shopping to entertainment to medical care.

My guess is living in Pattaya on or near the baht bus lines would be best. Some sort of gated community. Renting is preferable from my perspective. I have met enough farangs who have divorced their Thai wives to turn me off of home ownership. Yes, there are all sorts of 'leases' to somehow protect you. But it does get complicated.

There is much to do in any city if one has the desire. There is a Lions Club in Pattaya. There is a VFW in Pattaya. Numberous churches. Numerous charities one can get involved in. And at last count there were 6 or 7 AA groups in Pattaya.

Chiang Mai may be a good compromise. I haven't read too much here from those who live in Chiang Mai or plan to live in Chiang Mai.

Nor have I read on this post if those who retire or plan to retire here also plan to keep some sort of connection to their home country.

And not to get too morbid, but where does the long timer in Thailand get buried? Ashes scattered over the ocean? Sent to home country? No planning on this as once you are dead, you are dead. What about a will in Thailand? Where is the legality in that in LOS?

'nough said for now!

:rip:

I agree. There are parts of Pattaya that are entirely isolotated from the night life scence. I am not that remote.

In order to be that remote one must either ride your own motobike or invest in a car/truck. I have seen many motorbike accidents, including motorbike taxis (guys who do this for a living and have grown up on motorbikes). For me, the risk is too great. As far as investing in a car/truck, a lot of baht involved and I would not make an investment of this magnitude for transportation at this time.

As I said, I am fairly remote to the nightlife scene. And, yes, you can be very remote and avoid it entirely. But, unless you are very remote and happy to stay in your remote area, Pattaya is very much in your face (in my opinion).

I agree. There are parts of Pattaya that are entirely isolotated from the night life scence. I am not that remote.

In order to be that remote one must either ride your own motobike or invest in a car/truck. I have seen many motorbike accidents, including motorbike taxis (guys who do this for a living and have grown up on motorbikes). For me, the risk is too great. As far as investing in a car/truck, a lot of baht involved and I would not make an investment of this magnitude for transportation at this time.

As I said, I am fairly remote to the nightlife scene. And, yes, you can be very remote and avoid it entirely. But, unless you are very remote and happy to stay in your remote area, Pattaya is very much in your face (in my opinion).

I'm curious.

Would you live in the suburbs (or the boonies as we refer to it in the US) without a car in your own country? In virtually all of the US, with the exception of just a few metro areas, you are lost without a car. IMHO Thailand is not that much different. If you don't live in central Bangkok, a car is almost a necessity. I lived for a very short while in the suburbs of Bangkok, got very tired of the songteaw or having to call a taxi to go anywhere. Cant' imagine living on the east side of Sukhumvit in Pattaya or Jomtien without a car.

A 3 or 4 hundred thousand for a used car cannot be that big of an investment.Sh*t, even stickman bought a car.

TH

Archived