Recommended Isaan Destinations

luckyfarang

I would recomend going to Chanchanburi, not in Isaan,

I enjoy driving around KK, snake village and a drive around Ubonrat Dam is goood, ending up at Pattaya 2 beach!

In Udon I would travel north 50 Kms and see Nong Kai, up to the river and see the laos border, chinese markets there as well.

Near Udon is Pitsanauk, quite nice town.

On the way north, stp in Saraburi, lunch beside the big lake and eat grilled chicken and fish about 100kms north of Saraburi.

Just before Nahkon Ratchasima turn right and head to Surin. See the Surin Elephant Camp.

This is Cent's stamping ground and some GREAT Cambodian/Khmer structures to be seen inside the thai border looking south.

Heading north North of there you can go to KK via Roi Et, another nice area.

I recomend Prassart Khao Phra Viharn in (GULP) Si Saket, (actually in Cambodia, only road is in Si Saket, you get a day pass, coast is like 200bht total, maybe 400, I forget) and the beer bottle temple also near there...deep in the heart of SSG country...Many other Prassarts around there.

In Buri Ram, I recomend Prasart Khao Pahom Ruang. And in SUrin, the many SIlver and Silk Villages, and the waterfalls.

In Korat, Wat Ban Rai, temple of venerable Monk Luang Phr Kroon, and Prassart Hin Pi Mai. Also Hat Yai National Park.

Nakorn Panom, The Wat That Phanom and some lead villages Or something...

Somewhere between NKP and Mudharn is a Catholic shrine "Our ladies of the maryters of Thailand" worth a look.

Mukdaharn, the market along the Mekong, the Chinese temple near it, and the new bridge to Lao, Savanaket.

Udorn Thani...the park in the middle of the town, with a mini white replica of the Golden Gate...go early morning, Chinese ladies doing Thai Chi and Fan dancing, every nice!

Some where up that way is/are some of the oldest iron works in a historical park, consult Lonely Planet.

Prassart Khao Phra viharn

1ce11d66.jpg

0d496fe5.jpg

5089aded.jpg

Prassart Khao Panum Puang...A great restaurant, the Gai Yang and Moo Yang ir SAP LAI DERN!

f6f91e1e.jpg

The main Temple...

84146423.jpg

School kids we met...

b430294c.jpg

e18f3b22.jpg

The main temple, long view...

36f7415b.jpg

Surin Gate...

7b1a348c.jpg

Silk Shop...

bb3c5911.jpg

Silver shop...

26e79c42.jpg

Fruit Market...

2ff14ec4.jpg

Wat Ban Rai...

Korat22007-11-27_20-59-07-a.jpg

Prassart Hin Pi Mai...

Korat122007-11-28_00-56-29-a.jpg

Som Tom we ate, very good!

Korat152007-11-27_23-04-44-a.jpg

I love Issaarn.

That som tam photo is killer, mm mm good!

I second Phanomreuang in Buriram, really nice Khmer complex.

YimSiam

it's Phanom Ruung--"ruung" means "cave" in Khmer; "phnom" means "mountain".

all the Khmer ruins are great to visit...reminds one of who used to rule this land before the thais arrived.

as far as Isaan destinations, I like the very pleasant provincial capitals with lots of character: in descending order of preference, Ubon, Mahasarakham, Surin...others, like Buriram and Sisaket, are kind of pits...Khon Kaen is bustling but no longer very Lao, and kind of faceless...too many Thais and Sino-Thais have moved in there. Korat...all traffic and no charm. ditto for Udorn.

haven't been to Roi Et or Kalasin but I've heard both are nice. Nong Khai: kind of quaint but too full of Thai tourists trying to recapture "the old Thailand" (which is really Lao, but don't tell them), blechh.

preahko

Archived