Windows Vista Launched

pe7e

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CT, check with the manufacturer of the notebook. You will need SPECIFIC 64-bit drivers for your computer and any other hardware (webcam?) you use. I would wait until SP2 and let the masses debug VISTA first. :grin:

Oh man, it was on sale and I was impatient, just installed it (19 minutes)

Couldn't upgrade it from xp media center to ultimate64, it was installing it entirely new and put the old windows version into an windows.old folder. Looks very good, resembles apple in many ways. Will give it some hard ass HDV editing later and lets see how stable it will be

We are both wrong,

Vista can be upgraded from win XP and win2k. Not win98 or winNT.

Even so, in some cases you can buy an upgrade but actually have to do a clean install.

Check this Microsoft upgrade site

I stand corrected C68, but for the life of me I can not imagine a person having a PC or Laptop running W2K that had the hardware to support Vista.

I will probably use it once service pack 2 is available, I usually upgrade my tool box (laptop) every 2 years and this 1 is 18 months old now, I will let others sort out the bugs and graduate to it when it is sorted.

unit,

a) an upgrade will only work when started within the running OS, so he'll have to have his winXP, win98, win2k or WinNT running. If he's got a not so legal win XP running (failing WGA) then I strongly doubt the upgrade will start to install.

All upgrade versions are the full versions, all you need is the disk from the last operating system.

You can do a clean install from an upgrade disk but make sure you have you Windows Home or Pro disk ready.

I did a clean install of the XP Pro SP 2 all I had to do is put in my Windows 98 disk when it asked for it.

:yikes: I hope you don't end up :banghead:

hmmm, i really tortured that think with a 60 minutes 1080i video file, edited in Pinnacle and the rendering process was really fast, hmmm. Almost as fast as on the mac.

The funny thing is that pinnacle was never a stable program when it got too busy, but this time i could even generate a 5 minute smart video file (auto selection of scenes, cuts and effects in video clip style) Processor was at 67% max

If it stays that way it was I am going to be superhappy!

Security features are incredible, networking is now like linux just easier to setup, the aero mode is lovely.

If it runs stable i must say windows finally delivered some good stuff! No driver problems at all but I bought the machine 1 week ago and it is up to date!

Alfmaz,

I remember an Office upgrade that worked as you describe. It seems this has changed with Wondows Vista. What I read in a computer magazine (german one) is that the upgrade has to be started within the old OS. See this knowledge base entry .

This is just a wild guess, but I think this is so the old OS can be validated during setup. I'd really like to know if it possible to upgrade from an illegal XP. I don't have an upgrade version of Vista so can't try that myself.

Mekong,

it will be an exception, upgrading from win2k. Sure not on the old machine. There are still lots of people and companies running win2k. Most will get Vista when they replace the old machine with a new one. Upgrade not an issue, computer comes with Vista pre-installed.

Some people like to build their own computer. No pre-installed OS. They might go for an upgrade but most likely will opt for the cheaper system builder version.

Archived