Jim Thompsons House ?

Man at Work

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jim Thompson book talked about repairs having to be done to parts of the house that were damaged.

Those were from the 6 ~8 houses that were bought for the parts to build the Jim Thompson house(s).

Now at the part when he disappeared in 1967 in Malaysia and the 10 days they searched for him. Very interesting about the foul treatment that some in the Thai government did to Jim, but TIT. Same now as was 40+ years ago!

REad that book on Thompson, good one at that. I love the place! Go once a year maybe? interesting tour, and some interesting artifacts as well...interesting note, he had quite a collection of Thai art, but the Thai government basicvally confiscated it, as it was supposedly "stolen." He had promised to will it to them upon his death, guess they wanted it "now..."

I also Love Vimonmek...here is a really crappy picture of it...will see if I have better digital ones...

100_1078a.jpg

its the Vimanmek mansion, in the Dusit Park area .About 3kms east of victory monument, along Thanon Ratithi, or along thanon Si Ayuttaya from near the Phayathai BTS. Its near the Dusit zoo, the elephant museum and a few other minor attractions. the guide told us it was the biggest wooden building in the world, but i don't know if that is right ? perhaps the biggest teak building.

The admission to the grand palace includes entry here ..... which is how i heard of the place, had to go there and get my money's worth !!

e directions to JT house earlier, and to Vimonmek, it is around the corner from the BKK zoo (which kind of sucks) and is a nice area to walk around in. It is the largest golden Teak structure in the world, it was the palace of Rama V (Chulalonkorn). Full of all sorts of things he brought back from his travels.

Also on the grounds are many smaller exhibits, including (at least at one time) some photos by HMS the current King. Worth seeing!

To get there just tell the taxi you want to go to Vimonmek (wee-mon-mek) and then get a tour when you arrive. Tour is close to 45 minutes maybe. I forget the cost, maybe 100bht? free with the Grand palace tour. It is "royal ground" so dress as you would for a temple visit.

Archived