Thai currency - anyone in Thailand?

AF16

I'm about to transfer some money to Thailand which I will need in June, meaning I have some time to play around with.

If I transfer NKR (Norwegian Kroner) to THB I will get 5.4. If I take THB out of the Norwegian bank I will get 5.8.

What would I get if I changed NKR in a bank in Thailand? Anyone who walk past one of those money changing banks that show the current exchange rate?

I have noticed there is now a big spread between inside and outside Thailand for USD. Outside it is around 32b <-> $1, but inside it is 35b <-> $1. :confused:

AS I understand it, that is due to the currency restrictions. "Demand" for baht outside of Thailand (e.g. demand from companies needing baht to conduct business) is chasing a now restricted supply, resulting in a higher price. Within Thailand, the demand is less restricted, and thus commands a lower price

I usually send the money in euro's to thailand (Bangkok Bank. The rate for ThB in the Netherlands is just awfull. Also, I let the recipient pay for all the transfer costs, even mine. It works out best, IMO.

I will be both the sender and the recipient. If I send the money I will get a worse price than if I exchange the money in Norway, do not ask me why. It's not logical.

Earlier this week when I arrived at Swampy-Poom Airport I had a USD $100 note that I changed there to get me into town etc... I got 34.00 baht per dollar at the airport.

Then later that day I went to Bangkok Bank in Silom to change another $100, and got 34.68 baht per dollar.

Best to change minimum at the airport and wait until getting into town I think.

Archived