Jah Wobble: Morlam Dub

Hi Suadum,

yes this is a great album. I got it off itunes. But maybe you wont be able to get it off itunes because your in Thailand. I know I could download some stuff because I wasnt in the US.

If you can t get it off itunes, I ll burn you a copy from my comput. PM me with your address and I ll post it to you...I know how annoying it is not to be able to get music you really want to hear.

cheers,

Chris

that is a kickass album. it's Lao molam, different from Isaan.

every Isaan girl I've played that for has been blown away by it, they say, "shit, this is like what they would play in a techno dance club if they played molam there..." but it's different from the cheesy attempts to mix molam and electronic dance music that happen in Thailand, and they know it.

from a musician's point of view, it's really cool to see attempts at musical fusion like this (which in my opinion are usually lame in the end) be actually appreciated and enjoyed by the people whose music it was to start with...plus it really broadens their horizons, most Thais will go to the grave never having heard dub (which is what it is, not techno, but that's the closest thing they can compare it to in their world view)

preahko

When I lived in Vientiane I spent a lot of time with an Irish guy who lives in a very basic wooden house on stilts near the centre of town. His house is surrounded by wasteground on which migrants from the countryside live rough.

We used to get pissed and play this on the stereo... the squatters found it kind of strange... they are all songs that they know well, but they've never heard them played like Jah Wobble does 'em.

Archived