Bangladesh, Dhaka

Coss

Not much nightlife in Bangladesh. The best places are some of the international clubs. You have to be a member, or know someone who can invite you. Some clubs, like the Nordic Club, welcome most visitors. The Nordic Club has a good bar, and nice company.

Someone recently did a documentary on the P4P scene. Girls were interviewed outside the bar before opening.

Any ideas on Sanuk and nightlife?

Tips appreciated

Cheers

Coss

Dumsoda's tip is 100% correct - don't go. The place is a shithole.

If you absolutely have to there is a hotel called the Purbani in downtown Dhaka, as opposed to Gulshan where all the international clubs are. The girls are available I believe but - what to say - up to you is the best I guess.

I used to spend 5 out of 7 nights a week at the Nordic. Best club but that's not saying much. Our conversation was reduced to "look, there is a breeze over the pool". Really is that sad.

There is also the Priviledge Club. Some nights some of the hi-so local girls come in. They look good but that is it. When I was there the Bangla owner tried to shoot an English bloke I know. He missed but his goons took the guy outside and gave him a flogging.

After returning to BKK I got talking to a marine from the US embassy in Dhaka and he told me I had missed the fun. So you might try hooking up with the marines - they have a party once a month I think and all are welcome. They are a friendly enough bunch. you would also find them at the American Club I guess.

Honestly mate - if you are staying any length of time - best of luck. The place beat me, I bailed out after 15 months. Same old shit, day after day after day.

Cheers,

I worked in Dhaka for 4 years, 1987-91, but I doubt that the scene has changed much. As mentioned by others, the International clubs were the place to go, as being a muslim country, there were no official bars outside, apart from the Sheraton and Sonagaon hotels and the Dhaka club. There was a scene of wife-swapping amongst the expatriate community, but for those looking for local talent, it was a hard scene to break into. You needed a contact within the Bangladeshi business community to set you up. Contrary to what you might expect, the educated Bangladeshi ladies were not adverse to pre or extra marital activities with the foreign community, but it had to be discreet. Just as in Thailand, most men in Bangladesh do not take care of their ladies. My friend, used to bring a few ladies round to my house from time to time. If you were really desperate, all you needed to do was drive slowly round the streets of the diplomatic quarters of Banani, Gulshan and Baridhara, and 'ladies' would spring from behind trees and jump into your car. This was fine if you had your own place, but not sure what reaction you would get if you were staying in a guesthouse/hotel. I only used these ladies when my family were evacuated during the first Gulf war. I preferred to hold out for regular visits to Bangkok. As I used to say the best thing that came out of Bangladesh was TG321 to Bangkok.

I thought the country was officially dry.

It is I think, but the staff at the embassies have an allocation of booze. I think these allocations are used by the various clubs to source their booze. There was never any real shortage when I was there. Sometimes you might not get your requested brand but you could always get something.

Cheers,

Archived