US builds 160 new coal plants

trooper

Just watched the news and almost smashed my beer bottle against the wall. The US crashed Kioto protocol, are the world's most polluting nation and now this. They gonna build 160 new coal power plants before 2020. Their GHG emissions are gonna grow by 20 percent while the rest of the civilized world are making all the effort to reduce them by 20 percent. What the fuck is with them? :banghead:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Us have fairly decent coal reserves and I think about 50% of the coal used for electricity is locally produced. They do import some from Columbia I think but at a guess australia would be the second biggest source. It pays to be part of the willing.

Regarding the US refusal to sign the kyoto treaty, my understanding is this is because the treaty exempts India. Maybe this is just a convenient excuse the US uses, but why does the kyoto treaty give the US such an easy reason to opt out? But in defiance to the US position, didn't California recently sign it?

Australia never signed it either. The fact we are the biggest exporters of coal and soon to be the biggest exporters of uranium probably has something to do with it. A change of government however later this year will change all that.

Just watched the news and almost smashed my beer bottle against the wall. The US crashed Kioto protocol, are the world's most polluting nation and now this. They gonna build 160 new coal power plants before 2020. Their GHG emissions are gonna grow by 20 percent while the rest of the civilized world are making all the effort to reduce them by 20 percent. What the fuck is with them? :banghead:

Not sure where you got your information, but alledgedyly, China and India pollute a hell of a lot more than the USA does. Neither of those 2 countries has the pollution laws we have, nor the industrial safety rules...

Regarding the coal...big mistake, Nuclear is cheaper and cleaner in the way long run. The main reason we can't build more nuclear plants is the environmentalists and the Anti Nuke nuts...we need the coal to cut down on oil...and stick it to the A-rabs...or so it goes...the more coal we use, the less demand for oil, the lower demand means lower prices, see we are helping! Also, I read India and CHina are building more coal plants as well as more nuclear plants.

China and India pollute a hell of a lot more than the USA does.

I actually ment GHG emissions by polluting. It just feels so frustrating to see the US ain't giving a shit about the global warming. I can already see the effects of it where I live and according to leading scientists it's getting worse pretty quick. I kind of understand China and India because they are developing nations.

Well I have already made plans to start a wine yard when I grow up, the climate in Finland is gonna be the same as in France after 30 years.

Guest lazyphil

there was a very good docu the other night, seemed very credible with credible scientists, not 'fundys' who say global warming is bunk, well its getting warmer but mans part is insignificant, just a cycle, so much hysteria now nobody will take a blind bit of notice now.

Archived