Nervous_Dog

The movie:

Pros:

- Reminds me of peplum movies

- Is about an historical event quite interesting

(Is about fanatical spirit, remember the kamikaze corp or Irak?)

- Spartans were though warriors and homosexuality was a way of educating people and creating strong bonds between warriors)

Cons:

- Historically inacurate, equipment, weapons, fighting style, strategy etc.....

- Black and white......Presenting the fight of brave (which they were) "greeks" defending civilisation against the bloodthirsty barbarians...

If I remember well, at that time the persians were as much (more?) a refined and civilised culture as the spartan one.

- One more movie after gladiator, troy etc.....

- The pixels suck

-

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched 300 in Bangkok and was astonished they methodically pixelated out womens breasts. Meanwhile not that it bothered me, but several other sexual scenes in the movie were much stronger and revolting than revealing the beauty of a woman (like all out RAPE!), yet they were not edited out. What message is that to young people? What a screwed up world we live in.

Other than being annoyed and distracted by what was edited and what was not, it was an interesting movie. Was the whole thing a computer animation? Some parts looked very real and others looked more like video game graphics. I too had studied Greek history and was interested to see if they followed my recollections of what happened and was surprised they did a decent job of capturing the overall historical accuracy of the event.

Sounds like the present govmt is going back to the bad old days of the 1970s. When I first came to LOS, no romantic love scenes could be shown in films. Bare boobs were a definite no-no -- UNLESS it was in a graphic rape scene, preferably a gang rape. Thus Thai films liked to include at least an attempted rape scene, since it was the only way to get to show some skin. Interesting thinking in the minds of those behind it.

:dunno:

Hmmm - There was no parliment or congress in Sparta, two kings though, they prayed to Delphi, there was a congress of Greek states, 300 Spartens where helped by 1700 other greeks at the end.

The "Smash" where on day two the other greeks run out of a side of the road into the persians happened on the last day.

The real story is as good or better than the hollywood version, Why change the real story, just as bloody etc.

DOG

Archived