My last economics post

HeartThais

Last post not related to whoring, I promise. I do have some pretty leftish views which I think are not baseless.

First, I'm extremely proud to be an American. I think we do a lot of things right and we made many smart moves and bets. And contrary to world view, we bust our asses as is pretty apparent to me when I see my European colleagues going home for dinner and taking a month off for vacation at a time. I think American foreign policy is pretty despicable from the perspective of foreigners but I think it is being done in the best interests of US citizens and not just out of personal ego or xenophobia. I sort of think that Americans are not more greedy or self-interested than anyone else. However, we seem to be much better at mobilizing that greed into action.

But ideally, I think there's a future where we stop thinking of ourselves as citizens of a country. Hopefully, we stop thinking about protectionism and competition or relative standards of living. We'll feel just as compassionate about 3,000 Somalis dying of starvation as we do about 3,000 Americans dying in the world trade center.

Until then, I think every country has to step it up and start being as greedy, conniving, and ruthless as the US. Countries have got to stop listening to the US as if they have an answer to their economic needs. And if need be, they have to plan for a future that bands together to sanction the US when appropriate. Every country has to chart their own course and screw whether anyone else is going to be happy with it. Countries need to start banding together to protect themselves against American hegemony.

I think we are entering the era of trade zones. NAFTA and EU are getting close. Asia needs one of their own to protect their own interests and China is going to be the 800 pound gorilla soon. There's no doubt in my and most people's minds that the Chinese will dominate the world economy within a few generations and hopefully it lifts the entire region.

And hopefully, the trade zones will become about comparable in strength. And we can move our attention away from competing against other nations and towards dismantling borders, militaries, and authorities who have somehow decided they get to tell us how and where we live.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think American foreign policy is pretty despicable from the perspective of foreigners but I think it is being done in the best interests of US citizens and not just out of personal ego or xenophobia. I sort of think that Americans are not more greedy or self-interested than anyone else. However, we seem to be much better at mobilizing that greed into action.

This is the kind of statement that gives the average American a bad name. Is the delete post option still available for you? :shakehead

I think American foreign policy is pretty despicable from the perspective of foreigners but I think it is being done in the best interests of US citizens and not just out of personal ego or xenophobia. I sort of think that Americans are not more greedy or self-interested than anyone else. However' date=' we seem to be much better at mobilizing that greed into action.[/quote']

This is the kind of statement that gives the average American a bad name. Is the delete post option still available for you? :shakehead

Why? I'm honestly curious. Believe me, I'd love to think that the rest of the world was enlightened and the Americans are the last bastion of greed and self-interest in the world.

And contrary to world view, we bust our asses as is pretty apparent to me when I see my European colleagues going home for dinner and taking a month off for vacation at a time.

Until then, I think every country has to step it up and start being as greedy, conniving, and ruthless as the US. Every country has to chart their own course and screw whether anyone else is going to be happy with it. Countries need to start banding together to protect themselves against American hegemony.

And hopefully, the trade zones will become about comparable in strength. And we can move our attention away from competing against other nations and towards dismantling borders, militaries, and authorities who have somehow decided they get to tell us how and where we live.

You think presenteeism is something to be applauded? 555555 Well you're lagging miles behind the Japs.

As for the rest of your post, do you study politics and economics or is it just a passing fad? :confused:

Or could April Fools Day have something to do with it?

Believe me, I'd love to think that the rest of the world was enlightened and the Americans are the last bastion of greed and self-interest in the world.

Then believe it............the rest of the world does.

I can see accusations of America bashing flying soon; please bear in mind the original poster was an American claiming that they're just misunderstood and he's really a lefty anyway. :rotfl:

I don't think Americans are misunderstood. I just think if the rest of the world thinks they are somehow holier, they are full of it. Everyone will look out for #1. I don't think our leadership is evil. Kinda dumb but not evil. They're doing what they think is their job, to influence the world for the benefit of their citizens. I don't agree with it. I just understand where they are coming from. I also don't agree that when your leader hands you a rifle and tells you to kill someone, you are supposed to go ahead and do it. But I understand where they are coming from too.

Anyway, US foreign policy is probably not going to change that much unless forced to. So you can call us names and make snide jokes and wait for things to change out of the goodness of American heart. Or sit there and hope for America to implode one day. Or you can grow a sack and do something about it. Who among your leaders has half the balls of Chavez?

Archived