My last economics post

HeartThais

IMO the percentage of religious people is much lower today than 20, 30, 40 ,50 years ago. Instead we see that those religious now are more extremist, more intolerant, fundamentalistic with an absolute belief that they're right and everybody else must adapt or die. GWB as well as the iranian mullas are examples of these nuts. :thumbdown:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A belief in God and an identification with an organized religion are widespread throughout the country, according to the latest NEWSWEEK poll... Nearly half (48 percent) of the public rejects the scientific theory of evolution; one-third (34 percent) of college graduates say they accept the Biblical account of creation as fact. Seventy-three percent of Evangelical Protestants say they believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years; 39 percent of non-Evangelical Protestants and 41 percent of Catholics agree with that view.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/news week "

Raxa mea and all this theatrical delusion... interesting link with some amazing stats... another reminder why i don't like democracy if I ever needed any...

Monday God created man to his image

Tuesday he did birds in enough varieties to satisfy all men's needs

Wednesday he came up with more complex population issues like "one child policy" and the need to get a son to support the ageing family.

He took his whole thursday to reflect on the issue

Friday saw the birth of booze to help our good willing God to come up with a solution. Haschich and other heavier psychotrops are suspected to date from this same fairy friday.

Saturday , while God was recovering from his first creationnist hangover, the first Katoeys could be seen roaming our lovely world to even out the equation.

Sunday there were a lot of anal pain around so everybody decided to get a rest.

Kojis, theologist

<< Witness all the missionaries in LoS and the fire/brimstone "preachers" at Cowboy & NEP for local examples >>

Wow, do the missionaries go after you? The Mormons told me they are instructed not to bother Farangs.

As to the nutcase "preachers" at Cowboy and NEP, they are regarded by one as all as certifiable lunatics. Personally, I find them amusing. But perhaps you prefer the touts trying to lure you into rip off bars.

:dunno:

When I was a PC vol, the Mormons did get a bit of a shock. It seems there is (or was) a rule that a church could only have so many missionaries in proportion to their existing church membership in Thailand. The Mormons turned out to have far too many missionaries! (No surprise ...) As a result, 1/3rd of the Mormon missionaries had to go to Malaysia -- where they could have fun trying to convert the Muslims. :shocked:

On top of that, that had to start from scratch learning Bahasa Melayu instead of Phasa Thai!

We all thought it was rather amusing. :D

p.s. The Protestant missionaries were doing rather well with the hill tribes up north, since the Thais were neglecting them and hoping they'd go home to Burma or Laos. When the Thais suddenly realised the hill tribes were turning Christian, they decided to send some Buddhist monks to teach them Buddhism ASAP.

IMO the percentage of religious people is much lower today than 20, 30, 40 ,50 years ago. Instead we see that those religious now are more extremist, more intolerant, fundamentalistic with an absolute belief that they're right and everybody else must adapt or die. GWB as well as the iranian mullas are examples of these nuts. :thumbdown:

Today they are intolerant? As opposed to the '50s? The fundamentalists were violent in those days. They would routinely kill or run out suspected gays in small towns and small cities and call them 'sodomites'. The local police helped or at best stood aside. And my post about the want ads in papers.

You would trade the fundamentalists of 30 or 40 years ago for the ones today as less intolerant?!! The KKK is a semi religous group themselves (the burned crosses) and they were prevalent. Alabama and Missisppi and most towns in the south in pre civil rights all had a 'white christian council' group that was the relgious ayatollah for that town and what they said goes. I am amazed you think today's fundamentalists are moreso. They are intolerant, I'm not denying that, but they always have been. Nothing has changed. They have always been against gays, and believed in the armageddon, etc. Nothing new there. They had a foothold in both parties in the old days (dixie crats--southern democrats esepecially). They are a major player in the Republican party but they are not even the majority there.

CS, at that time this shit was concentrated to a small area but now it has been spread all over the world and not only to to some crazy baptists; you can find fundamentalist catholics, latter-day-saints, jews, muslims, sikhs and hindus - so far and AFAIK not yet buddhists.

Archived