My last economics post

HeartThais

Why? I'm honestly curious. Believe me, I'd love to think that the rest of the world was enlightened and the Americans are the last bastion of greed and self-interest in the world.

Well, our quote "And contrary to world view, we bust our asses as is pretty apparent to me when I see my European colleagues going home for dinner and taking a month off for vacation at a time." is one clue. You write this as if it is a good thing. I do not see it as such. I see the rest of the world, who get holidays & vacations (and universal healthcare) as being much happier, if not as rich. Money is not the key to happiness...what good is it if you never have time to use it?

I do love your sparring with Gadfly, and you are spot on about his lack of source backups and even making things up. Just get him going on how much more dangerous Thailand is for your average farang than the ghetos of any American city LOL! It got boring for me after a while, so I don't bother responding to him (and therefore$ he thinks he won, but we know better), but maybe you will want to push those buttons for some fun. :grinyes:

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The typical American thinks we're better as a nation than we really are and the typical european thinks we're worse than we actually are. The truth lies somewhere inbetween, not sure who is closer to the truth.

I think the lack of traveling by most Americans gives the average person here a sense that they are doing good everywhere, that more people in the world like us than they actually (bolstered by the hundred of millions trying to get here to live, even though its typically for economic reasons than for 'freedom' as we typically think).

A lot english and europeans I know think we are far worst than I think we are and trust me I have plenty to knock America for.

Do you compare America to other like nations that were/are the top nations in their time (USSR/Russia; China; the British Empire in its day, etc.)? Or do you compare America to all nations respective of their station (Sweden, N. Korea)? Personally I think the western nations apply different standards to America. Maybe its because they think we should do better because we more closely resemble them culturally than say..China, North Korea, Iran, Zimbabwe, Russia perhaps. I hear the 'America is the greatest terroist nation' trotted out quite frequently and I see countries like Russia and China get a pass. Countries that wouldn't condemn a terrorist act or act of aggression by Iran, N. Korea, etc. or vote on the security council to do it no matter how much the world uniformlally agrees on it. Its mind boggling to me...but maybe its because being American I can't see it.

We're often blamed as Americans for being myopic and putting in people like Bush, but the suppposedly more enlightened westerners keep putting in people that go along with our leaders like Bush. What is worse? The fool or the ones that knowingly follow the fool..if that is so? If China, Russia and other big nations that have deplorable track records are better than the 'biggest terrorist country in the world' why aren't they being followed? With some exceptions, few I might add, the ones that seem to castigate America the most have never been here. I'm a football (soccer) fan and belong to some forums which like this one is comprised mostly of westerners but unlike this one, very very few Americans. I have found that its fasionable to hate America. Even to the point that if you offer an opinion its deemed arrogant because I live in America. Also, you're not a good American unless you castigate the country at every turn and just about any support for just about anything in America is proof that you're one of the "myopic, self important, uninformed masses". America has given the world some things to justify enmity, no question. However, its so over the top sometimes and its so heartfelt to their core that I wonder if I'm in some dream world. Most have never been to the states. I do find that the ones that have been and know Americans think a little differently on average. The same supposedly misinformed and myopic Americans that are blamed for putting Bush in the white house aren't mentioned as the same misinformed ones that have put JFK, Jimmy Carter and Clinton in as well. Or for Americans ability to try and right their wrongs as in the last national elections where the party that opposes the war in Iraq is swept into the office and that party seems destined to reclaim the white house or at the very least a Republican that will be far far more centrist than Bush ever can be. It gets nary a mention. The same England that could vote for a Maggie Thatcher can also put in a left of center Labour candidate.

America feels its own self importance. That's a symptom of EVERY nation that has the same status. Its not right, it just is. The Roman Empire felt the same, the British and Spanish and French empires felt the same. The Soviets did, the Chinese do but feel they deserve more respect. And I guarantee you the nation that replaces America will feel the same exact way. Its a human condition...not just an American one.

To sum it up we're all wrong about America.

I don't think economics is the main issue. Most agree that capitalism is better than communism though most Europeans prefer something in between.

I think it comes down to fear Steve. It's hard to convince everybody that America's intentions are good. All those nuclear weapons, all those people who want to impose their vision on the world....it's a scary mix.

Well, our quote "And contrary to world view, we bust our asses as is pretty apparent to me when I see my European colleagues going home for dinner and taking a month off for vacation at a time." is one clue. You write this as if it is a good thing. I do not see it as such. I see the rest of the world, who get holidays & vacations (and universal healthcare) as being much happier, if not as rich. Money is not the key to happiness...what good is it if you never have time to use it?

SD

I didn't really mean it to come out as a ringing endorsement of American capitalism. I do think Europeans are happier on average. And from what I know of Europeans, I didn't think they'd be offended by the comment because they think much along the same lines as you... that many Americans have their life's priorities all wrong. I kinda agree.

I meant I'm proud that Americans are goal-oriented and directive in achieving those goals. That they are doing things effectively that are consistent with their philosophy and are successful at it. For people like my parents, who left their homeland poor but ambitious, the American dream is alive and well.

Ok, maybe it's true. Americans are the last greedy and selfish people on the planet and I, being Asian but born and raised in the US, have lost the ability to understand how people can be anything but greedy and selfish.

I still don't understand how the rest of the world seems to let America walk all over them and basically dictate much of their political and economic destinies. There are notable exceptions like China, Venezuela, North Korea, Iran and the rest of the, um, er... axis of evil. :o

...that fear would be appllied to any nation that held the same power (economically, militarily and politically).

I can't wait..or rather I hope I'm long gone...when China takes over...won't be fun for europeans dealing with them...well, Mr. Premier we (America) left the key under the mat. Good luck sir.

Archived