My last economics post

HeartThais

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

you see elef, i dont wont to bash sweden, its a peaceful, educated, 'green', harmonious idyl, but neutral as we know for many years and its very easy to sit there criticising america when your country has not had the responsibility (law of averages bad decisions will be made and clusterfucks happen!) to make huge decisions whether to go to war or not or subject this policy or that policy here and there......am i fair to say sweden, just as an example had ridden on the back of freedoms america has given you (yes i'm sure US governments havn't done any of this for the well being of anywhere but america, however.....)uncomfortable a notion it is?

I get angry at America due to the misuse of power....it's the most powerful nation on earth, but what does it do with that power? Fights a series of wars to no end/gain/advantage for anyone...refuses to control it's pollution and emissions...doesn't sign on for the international court...spreads its' branded, packaged form of capitalism etc etc and now we have breaches of human rights, side stepping and ignoring of the Geneva conventions, a severe watering down of democracy, mixing the religious and secular in politics, imposed religious extremism, anti-abortion-pro-creationism anti-science neo-conservatism...the list is getting long...

I love America and every American i've met has been friendly and polite, but when is the responsibility of being the most powerful and influencial nation on earth going to be taken seriously...opportunity missed, could well be Americas epitaph.

As regards other nations, their situation is worse and nothing can be done...there's no democracy in China for example, in addition to this, there's no real foreseeable prospect of change..the Chinese are enslaved for now...my view is Americans should know and be better...they've had all the opportunities others have not...and wont for some time. I hope for an enlightened and educated American president to come forward from the current mass of dross. I don't think it's going to happen this election....

The group of religious nuts theory suits me better.

I'll sign on to that theory. And it is this seemingly ever-growing group that the U.S. and other countries have been battling for the last decade and will be battling for the foreseeable future. Some would like to ignore this fact and just bask in their "pond" on their lilly pad. Ignorance must be bliss.

HH

America is far less religious than has been a generation and before that a couple generations ago. Europe is far more secular than America.

'Blue laws' (not being able to buy alcohol on Sundays) was a social rule of law throughout the south, from Texas to the southern states that border the Atlantic. Religion played a far greater role in politics and the social lives in America that it does now and anyone that has lived here for any number of years would agree with that. Just because America is on average more religious than Europe doesn't make it a theocracy.

America abuses its power. Its not right but its human nature on a national scale. This is no excuse but name me one nation withe similar powers that was better? Or was a benevolent world leader? I guarantee you if you gave Sweden the same powers they would do the same if not worse. ANY nation would and does when they get that power. However, I would say that America is amongs the best with using its power. The British Empire has to be credited as well. They ended slavery in their empire well before the Spanish and America did. They instituted social reforms well before others as well. The Soviets abused theirs, the Chinese are abusing theirs. Comparing America to Sweden is unfair given that both do not share the same responsibility and power.

I know little of Sweden but even they are not immune from the ills of nations. Don't they require immigrants to be fluent in swedish before they can acquire citizenship? England has far greater restrictions on civil liberties than than America does (although we are catching up).

As I said before Americans only remember the good we do and westerners only think of the bad.

America is far less religious than has been a generation and before that a couple generations ago.

Dude, I totally disagree. It is amazing how much religion is shoved down your throat here. I grew up here, left for a long time, and now came back; so it is not the slow change you experienced, but a point-to-point comparison. Yes, I see your point about shops not being open on Sunday when we were kids, but I see the integration of religion into politics to a degree that blows even the 50s, when they added God to money & the Pledge of Allegiance, out of the water. I recently decided to count the references to God/prayer/Bible/whatever-Xtian-thing in my normal routine the other day. I quit at 136, and that was before I drove home for the day. That is on TV, radio, print media, outdoor signs/billboards, etc. -- not going out of my way looking for it, just what popped up as I lived my daily life. Unbelievable. More references by far than any Muslim country in which I have lived or visited and they are supposed to be the fanatics.

Regards,

SD

Archived