How to becoming a tourist police volunteer?

whitelotuslane

Based on my knowledge Pattaya was a spot where upper class Thais went to on the weekend before the Vietnam War! Maybe I am wrong? :dunno:

It wasn't the Thai peoples decision to turn Pattaya into what it is right now! Only those who possessed land were in charge, those with money and power, these are not regular Thai people as you know!

According to my neighbor he didn't have much of choice, he had to sell his land because people have been promised jobs and wealth when the farangs will come for holidays! At the end it made the rich even richer and the gap between poor and wealthy people has increased, the poor got poorer! That is the circle of life I guess!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> Based on my knowledge Pattaya was a spot where

> upper class Thais went to on the weekend before

> the Vietnam War!

Right, and there wasn't a whole lot of upper class back then. Not enough to warrant any kind of tourism infrastructure; if anything that was in Hua Hin where the Royal Family also had (have) their beach resort.

The first hotel in Pattaya I think was actually the Nauticall Inn, built to a USA motel design in the 1960's.

I think your confusing Hua Hin with Pattaya CT.

The poor in Thailand, when did they ever do well? However prawn farmers are the exception who went from poor to being quite tastelessly rich turning their land after the bom into awful empty condo's and hotel's~

• 2 weeks later...

Soi Bua Khao is where I stay whenever in Pattaya. I used to like it much better a few years ago. Now it's all built up with tons of new condos and apartments, new 'British' pubs etc., and tons of new huge beer bar complexes (which always seem empty when I go by them) and even now a new agogo. Intertesting yes, but better before all the construction I feel. Also, I do like 'Swan Bookshop' for used books there. And the hotel I use has a small carpark for the truck in back and out front, and a fairly recently renovated swimming pool which gets sun most of the day. On the Pattaya Klang end which I usually use I do think there is a sign like the one you posted, but I think Al is correct. 13? I am fairly certain it is numbered.

Cent

Actually CT isn't wrong, ex-first-wife of CP lives outside and there're others in the royal family doing it too. :)

Just back from Pattaya and the latest rumour is that BigC will build a shop in east Pattaya so now Carrefour and TescoLotus will do the same. The population east of Sukhumvit is probably soon as big as the one in old Pattaya and crossing Sukhumvit is dangerous.

Heard a thai nickname on Soi Buakaow - Soi Sograpog (I use sokoprop myself), I never heard it before but was uses by an old Pattaya lady who probably was a barowner in the sixties. :D

Really they wanna open another Big C?

Most people doesn't even know that there is one in South Pattaya.

They are building so many shopping malls, soon every tourist will have his own. Have you seen the size of the new Mall on Soi 13??? Quite impressive, it will be the kiss of death for Royal Garden and when the new Festival Center on Beach Road will open we gonna 6 giant Malls in a mini city like Pattaya. Some things really make me wonder!

I agree but see the same development in Denmark and Sweden now. If you judge after the parking places around BigC (2nd Rd), Royal Garden and Carrefour on friday afternoons, saturdays-sundays and red days (like 1st may) the demand seems unlimited, even the new 10 baht parking fee for BigC doesn't have any effect. :confused:

Last few days more than 50 % of the customers in TescoLotus (North Pattaya Rd) seemed to be russian couples.

And where can they build big shoppings centers in east Pattaya.

The parking spots are packed indeed, but many of those cars belong people that work in the surrounding area!

Now the shopping situation is okay, when the new two giants malls will open there is too much offer for to few buyers. Check out the size of that new thing it is trice as big as Royal Garden. The good thing is that you will be able to buy the same things as in BKK, right now the clothes situation is rather lame!

Archived