How to becoming a tourist police volunteer?

whitelotuslane

If you want to do something meaningful for the community the Tourist Police is the wrong place to begin with! First of all your job is to help tourists which exploit the community! Second of all if you take the job too serious you get in trouble! What you can do is listen when there are complaints and MAYBE investigate them or a fight catches your attention and you try to go in between. However the real work is up to the MiB. If you go into a bar and report nudity you are in big trouble, you check the burmese flower kids for papers you will be in big trouble, you stop the Ivans from selling drugs and weapons you are dead! Law enforcement in Pattaya is very special :)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all your job is to help tourists which exploit the community!

¿Que?

What would Pattaya be WITHOUT tourists?

I can scarcely think of something other than tourism that's as directly related to Pattaya's prosperity.

Happy tourists = happy Pattaya.

No argument with everything else you wrote. :)

I can scarcely think of something other than tourism that's as directly related to Pattaya's prosperity.

Happy tourists = happy Pattaya.

No argument with everything else you wrote. :)

I could think of Pattaya as a recreation city for Bangkok people as it used to be! Pattaya locals might not be too happy with the farang situation as you think and by locals I mean people from Rayong and especially Pattaya origin. Imagine yourself living in a calm fishing village with a nice, silent and clean beach which got turned into the biggest red light district on earth. Would you be happy? The anger has been passed on new generations. Quite frankly, we are exploiting them big time, we might have given them an opportunity to make money but we have also broken their culture or do you think Pattaya families have a life like regular thai families? (how is that for a sensetive topic?) :grinyes:

40 years actually! My Condo neighbor is an original Pattayaist he made a fortune by selling his land and now runs 2 seven/elevens and makes good money with it too! You would think he is a happy camper because of his wealth, but he isn't, he misses the good old days a lot! I once told him after we killed a bottle of Jack Black in my condo "I believe you, because if the impact of us farangs wouldn't be huge on you, you would have never admitted that, you would be happy with the money by selling out your countries land to a farang hotel chain and wouldn't care how you made it to protect your face and you wouldn't sit here with a farang watching a Bayern Munich vs Werder Bremen" He laughed and said "Yes, you have to be bad to be good!"

Agree, but remember that the domestic tourism is as big or bigger in Pattya as the international tourism and that sex tourism is just a part of the international tourism.

True. Pretty big part though. Bunch of people showing up at Jomtien in a pick-up truck staying one night (if that) and bringing all their food & booze doesn't do THAT much for the economy. It's also not to be sniffed at, but really I think international tourism is where the main money is. (Never mind if it's sex tourists, package tourists, tourists from the West or from Asia, etc.)

I could think of Pattaya as a recreation city for Bangkok people as it used to be!

What?! WHEN? Tourism got underway during / shortly after the Vietnam War in the 1970's when Thai people by and large didn't holiday and especially not a beach holiday. I'd say international tourism kicked off before a Thai middle class arose who thought it kind of cool to go to the beach for a picnic / short stay.

Pattaya locals might not be too happy with the farang situation as you think and by locals I mean people from Rayong and especially Pattaya origin.

How many locals (as in true locals from that part of Chonburi) are there really compared to everyone else.. It's an absolute rarity for me to meet people actually from the Pattaya area.

And even those locals I doubt they'd have it any other way, being native to some dusty village further up Chonburi/Rayong where nobody visits.

Imagine yourself living in a calm fishing village with a nice, silent and clean beach which got turned into the biggest red light district on earth. Would you be happy?

I'd be crying all the way to the bank. And when you're a fisherman the absolute last thing on your daily mind is any beauty of a beach from a recreational point of view; its' your place of work.

The anger has been passed on new generations. Quite frankly, we are exploiting them big time, we might have given them an opportunity to make money but we have also broken their culture or do you think Pattaya families have a life like regular thai families?

What a load of rubbish!!! *EVERYTHING* that happened in Pattaya and happens in Pattaya is SOLELY BECAUSE OF the decisions of the original population there. That decision in 1960 when someone said "you know I'm going to build a US style motel with a swimming pool there by soi 11 and call it Nautical Inn" was the exact same line of thought as people currently developing things to attract tourists, especially also international tourists.

Either that or we have a different defintion of exploitation. To me, the locals are exploiting their own land and they have every right in the world to do so.

Then some get rich, then some even get to entertain some 'oh the good old days' type of thoughts.. But don't for a second think they'd honestly would like it any other way.

(how is that for a sensetive topic?) :grinyes:

Very Nice. :)

You wouldn't believe how much Pattaya has grown in the last 20 years, not to mention the last 30. I don't consider things an improvement. :(

Show me any other tourist beach location that hasn't exploded in the last 20-30 years, anywhere in Thailand, or anywhere in the world for that matter..!

Go look up some pictures of what Phuket or Samui looked like.

Personally I'd PREFER to have the mega development concentrated in a relatively tiny area, i.e. Pattaya, Phuket, Samui. Even in the Pattaya area you can get to virtually untouristed beaches in a 30 minute drive. I'd rather have it all in one place than scattered around.

Archived