10 dumbest resume (CV) blunders

cavanami

A job candidate...

1. ... attached a letter from her mother.

2. ... used pale blue paper with teddy bears printed around the border.

3. ... explained a three-month gap in employment by saying that he was getting over the death of his cat.

4. ... specified that his availability to work Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays is limited because the weekends are "drinking time."

5. ... included a picture of herself in a cheerleading uniform.

6. ... drew a picture of a car on the outside of the envelope and said the car would be a gift to the hiring manager.

7. ... listed hobbies that included sitting on a levee at night watching alligators.

8. ... mentioned the fact that her sister had once won a strawberry-eating contest.

9. ... stated that he works well in the nude.

10. ... explained an arrest record by stating, "We stole a pig, but it was a really small pig."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently seen a Resume which listed under 'Achievements', the fact that this person finished fourth in the school high jump competition in 1983. And he noted 'bus spotting' as one of his hobbies. I was all for interviewing him just to discuss these two events.

Working in HR, it drives me crazy here sometimes.

When you phone up a Thai candidate for an interview and offer them a time, it has to be convenient for *THEM*, not you, apparently. If they want they job, they come to the interview when they're told too, not when they want!

Also, the number of CV's I receive (addressed by name, to me - so obviously a farang) that are written only in Thai is stupendous. This is an international company they're applying to for goodness sake!

Those ones end up "filed" in the bin!

I've taught at five different Thai universities over the years. Only one of them included instructions on how to write a CV, how to prepare for an interview and how to take an interview. Thais graduate from a university and simply have no idea how to get a job.

Hi,

Sleeping seems a favorite to put down under hobbies in this country.

Sanuk!

If the applicant is female single and under 25 and she adds "with me" to that hobby, First Interview Guaranteed.

Joking aside, I have seen a fair few number of Resumes in my time and I can usually filter out the 75% of the crap without even reading them.

Paper Quality

Number of Pages

Font Used

Formatting

All simple basics.

As moo noi mentioned, interviews with prospective Thai employees are a nightmare, we had one prospective applicant a few weeks ago who POSTPONED his interview twice, when my (Thai) Department Head asked me would I be available to take his third appointed interview, I questioned the reason why bother.

I must admit though, our principal design engineers method of vetting makes me smile, during our last recruitment drive I gave him a pile of resumes to short list for interviews, the first one he looked at he threw back on my desk in about 5 seconds REJECTED I asked why.

28 year old divorced female, damaged goods was his reply ... I can't argue with that logic, I just wished I had the balls to say it at the top of my voice in an open office.

Hi,

We employed an agency last time, looking for a PHP programmer with decent experience (4-5 years minimum). They send us resumes of 3 candidates, every one of which I dismissed within seconds of looking at the resume.

While these people did have 5+ years of experience, none had used PHP in at least several years, or ever in any of their jobs. However, since PHP was listed in their 'skills', the agency figured they must be okay.

We're still waiting for a candidate worth interviewing.

Sanuk!

Archived