Budding Chefs

The_Munchmaster

Lot's of talk on this forum about what food to get where, but what about cooking your own?

Do any of the board members enjoy putting on their pinny, rolling up their sleeves and actually cooking dinner themselves.

Is anyone particularly good at cooking and what do they like to prepare?

I like to cook, but invariably the result is disappointing. :(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to be able to cook well, nut its like anything you want to do well. You have put the time in.

SInce bein back in the UK I got into trying to cook some Thai food. Irony bein that I didnt learn to cook in Thailand.

I started making the curry pastes from scratch rather than using bought pastes. They turned out pretty well and I enjoyed eating them...

I can now probably make about a dozen Thai dishes.

I m also tried making some deserts, like chocolate tortes,chocalte pecan pies etc. Again making my own pastry and everything from scratch.

Tried some other stuff from natural cook book.

I m not good, and make mistakes but I m 100% better than I was 6months ago.

I need to learn the basic priciples of cooking to move on... Example,how to cook all the different types of meats and different ways to do them.

It certainly very satisfying and enjoyable but it costs alot to do it here in the UK. Veg is so expensive here in the UK supermarkets.

I generally cook most of my meals, but nothing really special. Usually western type breakfasts and Thai meals in the evening. As it takes me a while to make any Thai meal, due to preparation of the items, I usually make a 3 day supply of whatever dish I'm preparing...refrigerate it and microwave it on subsequent nights. This applies to dishes where the rice is mixed in (khao pat, etc, but fresh cooked rice for things like ga-prow moos/gai).

Boring maybe, but actually cheaper than the food stands and it works for me.

One thing is that adjacent to my condo is a permanent nightly Thai outdoor market, complete with numerous food stalls and stalls which supply all the needed meats/produce/fish, etc that is much better quality and cheaper than the stores.

Got to say that when I move (hopefully soon !) and get a house with a proper kitchen my missus and I will be able to have more of a "home life" which I want to include more home cooking.

I can knock up quite a few things including some Thai and Japanese as well as European but I want to learn more.

I concur about using the markets for good quality and cheap prices.

Guest lazyphil

I cooked a 4 egg omellete with aspergus, mushrooms with a can of tuna and a baked potatoe and a dollop on ketchup tonight. Move over jamie oliver :)

Guest lazyphil

4 stone of flab gone, eat plenty of 'clean' unprocesed junk food, lots of water, run, weight lift reguarly increase wights, aim to run faster, train hard, all this fat gene nonsense or 'its my glands' is bunk pure and simple! :smirk: (i'm like one of those annoying reformed smokers!)

Munchie,

I'll let you into a little secret....Dum Cnut is rather a dab hand in the kitchen....BUT...Please keep this between you & me, because if OH even gets a slightest hint that I wear a fcuking "Pinny"....I'll never hear the fcuking end of it!!!!

So, just between you & me. OK????? Top secret...Jing jing...

Use to love cooking and did knock up some good tucker. But since the long haired dictionary has been on the scene I have been banned from the kitchen. I cook for my self whilst away at work. Its usually based on the least work and least washing up to be done at the end!

Cooking for one can be difficult. I usually cook a steak and make a simple salad. I like to marinate chicken breasts in soy, garlic, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Then grill. very nice and quick.

Another easy one is mince stir fried with red curry paste and some vegies then cook some instant noodles (mama) and stir fry them in. Quite tasty all though after I finished there is bits of noodles from one end on the kitchen to the other! Hence why Im banned from the Kitchen at home!

Pinny apron ..No. A Parkenmaa (sarong) is the oder of the day. Usually falls down after vigorous stir flying, creating a potential safety hazard to the wedding tackle.

Archived