Michael Moore Faces U.S. Treasury Probe

Fidel

Since those networks probably wouldn't have paid to show his film, he wasn't really losing or sacrificing anything through his "donation." What he gained was publicity (or notoriety, if you prefer).

That is ridiculous!

The movie was brand new, just released on DVD (top 10 in 50+ countries) and it was a block buster (number one in over 70 countries) , the networks would have fought a battle to get the rights on this documentary! He even motivated people to share it on torrent sites! Sure it created publicity for him but to believe that was the reason is extremely lame and totally ignorant. It was the New York Times who estimated his donation equals with a PERSONAL loss of 60 million dollars, why would someone spend 60 million on a private advertising campaign, looses more income on DVD sales when he has no other product ready to launch! That is against all marketing rules and it was definitely no long term investment!

He didn't need publicity, this movie was discussed all over the world already and everybody knew who he was.

Michael Moore isn't a hero or something but at least he had the balls to put his ideals over an enormous sum of money. 60 Million is more money he has made in his entire life!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think most Americans are not "hyper-sensitive" about the bashing we are getting but mostly frustrated by the fact that we feel helpless to correct things.

That is a very good one and actually the 2nd time I have heard that this week! Been out with 2 American chicks from Chicago and they said nearly the same. They said they are aware that the entire world disapproves nearly everything Bush has done, but they have never thought the people would respond with so much hate to them as persons! They are traveling the world, they are pro rock climbers and they had a lot of things to report!

Problem is that people have swallowed too much of these corrupt government, so many people had to die for their cause and as soon you get someone from America to talk to it unloads automatically!

bolton at the UN

wolfie at the WB

african aids programs without condoms

Choc, are you contending that you are unaware of the piles of news reports concerning the slumping view of america?

even a conservative in sheepish (but i am sure stylish) threads must be aware of the status of american good will.

Question. Was there animosity toward America before Bush?

Living abroad then, I would say no. Clinton was loved/respected by most everyone I met in varying countries (dozens) during his tenure. I do not remember much about Bush 1 & Reagan's terms because I was not very political in those days, but do not recall the animosity I see now.

Cheers,

SD

I almost never encountered anti-Americanism in Thailand in the '70s and '80s. The only times I saw it, it came from leftist activists who supported communism.

America bashing has long been popular with Brits (at least the post WWII generations), also with the French, Swedes and some other nationalities. But it had been more of a smug "I'm superior to you" attitude than now. These days it sometimes turns into almost a personal dislike of you because of the actions of your government, even though the polls consistently show the majority of Americans do not support those actions.

I can understand a bit how Germans felt post-WWII. As one German of that generation said to me, "We didn't want that war. But Hitler never asked us."

The reasoning I've heard is, the majority of you voted this guy in so you're probably one of them. I sometimes get a pass being black and seen as a 'victim' of America, and they expect me to say only bad things about America. Since 911 and after Iraq, and visiting England, cabbies ask me what I think about the U.S. and they are just waiting for me to say anything somewhat supportive so they can go off on me. I told all of them 'I'm on holiday, I don't want to discuss politics on holiday'

Being on football(soccer) forums, its virulent nowadays. I do think feel a 'we're more enlightened than you are' attitude. I think its the 'in' thing to bash anything American as well. I don't think anyone would dare say even the remotest thing positive about America in England and parts of Europe. Its almost like Americans saying anything positive about the french in some circles here, like a sports bar. You'd be seen as a wuss if you did.

Archived