Normal to go thru a disheartenment phase with LOS?

arizonadave

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many would still come back to LOS time and time again, or live here, if the P4P scene wasnt here or was much more expensive to partake in than it is now - say similar to Japan / Korea etc?

I would for one.

Whilst I've partaken and indulged in the P4P, meanwhile I've been taken by the tropical islands, the amazing food, the friendly people. I could go on... P4P is only one aspect of the Thailand experience.

How many would still come back to LOS time and time again, or live here, if the P4P scene wasnt here or was much more expensive to partake in than it is now - say similar to Japan / Korea etc?

Me, for 1 :grinyes::grinyes::dunno::grinyes::grinyes:

Actually, lately I've found Both HK and China to be "considerably" cheaper than LOS....well for me anyway :grinyes::grinyes:

Guess the fact that I haven't been buying any "Costume jewellery" on my visits there may have some bearing on the matter.

Cheers DC :beer::grinyes::beer:

More money comments :surprised:

I posted here not so long ago that the (almost daily) money comments are getting at me, but I know I have to live with that and a few other negatives.

I turned monogamous 6 years ago and don't regret it.

Yeah, she has her moments (being pissery), but then we all do.

Many things irritate me in LOS, but I live relaxed, and nothing is more important than being delivered of the stress for me.

Overall I am fully happy living here with a nice lady.

I do hope you will settle down equally. (Not you Dumsoda, the OP!)

...The thrill and fascination of being here has definately faded. I find myself complaining more and more about the things that are worse here than back in the states. Do the same when I'm there though too. Is it just a normal passing phase that is normal to go through and things will soon be rosey again? Are we that travel and relocate hard to please, less satisfied with the status quo and condemned to forever bellyache and see the glass as half empty?

Welcome to stage two of culture shock. From the excellent "Culture Shock" book series:

Stages of Culture Shock

Culture shock has many stages. Each stage can be ongoing or appear only at certain times. The first stage is the incubation stage. In this first stage, the new arrival may feel euphoric and be pleased by all of the new things encountered. This time is called the "honeymoon" stage, as everything encountered is new and exciting.

Afterwards, the second stage presents itself. A person may encounter some difficult times and crises in daily life. For example, communication difficulties may occur such as not being understood. In this stage, there may be feelings of discontent, impatience, anger, sadness, and feeling incompetence. This happens when a person is trying to adapt to a new culture that is very different from the culture of origin. Transition between the old methods and those of the new country is a difficult process and takes time to complete. During the transition, there can be strong feelings of dissatisfaction.

The third stage is characterized by gaining some understanding of the new culture. A new feeling of pleasure and sense of humor may be experienced. One may start to feel a certain psychological balance. The new arrival may not feel as lost and starts to have a feeling of direction. The individual is more familiar with the environment and wants to belong. This initiates an evaluation of the old ways versus those of the new.

In the fourth stage, the person realizes that the new culture has good and bad things to offer. This stage can be one of double integration or triple integration depending on the number of cultures that the person has to process. This integration is accompanied by a more solid feeling of belonging. The person starts to define him/herself and establish goals for living.

The fifth stage is the stage that is called the "re-entry shock." This occurs when a return to the country of origin is made. One may find that things are no longer the same. For example, some of the newly acquired customs are not in use in the old culture.

These stages are present at different times and each person has their own way of reacting in the stages of culture shock. As a consequence, some stages will be longer and more difficult than others. Many factors contribute to the duration and effects of culture shock. For example, the individual's state of mental health, type of personality, previous experiences, socio-economic conditions, familiarity with the language, family and/or social support systems, and level of education.

I was recently in a pub in Japan overhearing some late 50s expats (seemed to be retirees teaching English) bitch about everything under the sun and began laughing hysterically when one said that they wanted to leave Japan and go to Thailand because "everything is nice and easy there." I told them that "I'd bet you had been in Japan about three years." They were amazed that I was right. So I explained the above to them.

I used to hire expats for positions for my employer and know that despite the desire and the analysis beforehand, only 50% at best will stay on. Such is the power of culture shock.

Cheers,

SD -- bouncing between 4th & 5th stages

...Don't forget, wherever you go, you take yourself with you. If you weren't happy at home, and you aren't happy here, it's not the circumstances that causes the unhappiness, you are. Look at yourself. There lies the only solution.

Ya know, someone much wiser than me once said in a drunken supor: "Thailand is a perfect mirror. What you project is what you get back." I thought it was just blabber at the time, but over the years, I understand how exactly correct he was. If I am happy, they so are those around me. If I am miserable, then I get treated like shit.

Cheers,

SD

SD, the couple who wrote 'Culture Shock' were some of our trainers in my early Peace Corps days. I used to use their book when I taught the Cross Cultural course. Unfortunately, a Thai ajarn borrowed it and I never saw it again. What is it with Thais never returning books they borrow?

:(

This is what happens, Flash: They flip through the book looking for the pictures, discover there aren't any or very few, and conclude that you gave them a defective misprint by accident -- then, to avoid causing you to lose face (by pointing out that you've mistakenly given them something that was not useful), they kindly throw it in the bin and never mention it again, for your sake...

I'm suprised you didn't know about this process, it happens almost every time!

YimSiam

Archived