Normal to go thru a disheartenment phase with LOS?

arizonadave

Stole this from another site last year. Sums up a few people here, possibly myself included.

I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place.

Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they

have always a nostalgia for a home they know not. They are

strangers in their birthplace, and the leafy lanes they have

known from childhood or the populous streets in which they

have played, remain but a place of passage. They may spend

their whole lives aliens among their kindred and remain aloof

among the only scenes they have ever known. Perhaps it is

this sense of strangeness that sends men far and wide in the

search for something permanent, to which they may attach

themselves. Perhaps some deep rooted atavism urges the

wanderer back to lands which his ancestors left in the dim

beginnings of history. Sometimes a man hits upon a place to

which he mysteriously feels that he belongs. Here is the home

he sought, and he will settle amid scenes that he has never

seen before, among men he has never known, as though they were

familiar to him from his birth. Here at last he finds rest.

Somerset Maughan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There certainly is an ebb and flow to my enchantment and/or disenchantment with Thailand.

I have been here long enough to realize that I am in complete control of these factors. Frame of mind, perspective, point of view, whatever you call it are always in control of the user. Sure there are many mitigating factors that are out of your control or even random but your 'take' on what is going on is unique to you.

When I was in high school I learned a valuable lesson from a basketball coach. If things were not going my way on the court during a game or even practice I should begin to concentrate on the 'fundamentals' of the game. Make sure to execute the fundamentals correctly and the rest will take care of itself.

The fundamentals in life are pretty easy: Nutrition, Excersize, Rest, Relaxation, etc...but not so easy in bangkok, Pataya, etc.

When I feel like I am staring to get sick of Bangkok, or I am reacting negatively to the people and stimuli around me it's time to take a step back and concentrate on the fundamentals of life.

Thats what works for me. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Is this the new Buddha or the Budha of the future (Preseon-not sure of pronounciation)?

Must be Maitreya, the Tathagata, the coming buddha who is currently either walking the earth as a saintly bodhisattva or waiting in Tushita heaven to come help us out. Like all buddhas, Maitreya is known to have the sexual characteristics of both sexes.... and is not known to use condoms...

I appreciate buddha's post, but wonder: what really are the fundamentals while living in Thailand, or elsewhere? Food, sleep, rewarding work, a social network, exercise (one i always seem to miss), sex? If a newb was setting up his life in Thailand, what elements would you recommend he try to incorporate into his life, to make sure the fundamentals are met?

If a newb was setting up his life in Thailand, what elements would you recommend he try to incorporate into his life, to make sure the fundamentals are met?

Don't do what I did, in 1999 I realised she wasn't different, it only took me 8 years to get it through my thick head.

Bring Independance, the ability to live in Thailand off your own bat. When i married the ex BG who "Was Differant"I was running away from a situation not moving on to something better.

The past 8 years or so have been kinder to me, I know what I want / need for my life and whilst I am still employable I will try and get it of my own accord.

Having a like minded Thai wife is a bonus I was not looking for, it just happened.

"what really are the fundamentals"

That would depend on the individual, hence the etc. A heroin addict would have different priorities than a non addict.

The fundamentals would be decided by that person. Lots of things would dictate differences: religion, race, etc. etc.

What are your fundamentals?

Mine are: Rest, Nutrition, relaxation [different from rest], Physical fitness, and sex. The rest is extra.

No job or business or home that I own to maintain and improve. Trying the steady gf thing for the first time here, met her last July, attempting monogamy sucessfully so far. Getting more and more shots of vinegar with the sugar from her, less affection, more money comments.

I find that wthout some sort of persuit that living LOS becomes boring... maybe involve yourself in some sort of business that you can involve the family in. Something to pass the time and give the family some sort of independance.

Living the married couple style of life after a while doe'st help to reinforce things. It's inevetable that after a while you'll feel like your r/s has lost it's shine and that in itself can really make you wonder what you are doing there.

These days I can take or leave Thailand, but I guess thats because things are going so well for me here in Oz. On the other hand, 5 years ago things were going shit for me here in Oz so on my first trip to LOS i loved it so much I ripped up my reurn ticket and stayed.

I guess it depends on where you are in life, how you percieve it and who you doing it with.

Just my 2 sitangs...

Archived