1:20 a.m. at Nana on a Friday Night

Gadfly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thailand seems poorer than just a scant six months ago, at least out here. There is an unmistakable difference. I donâ??t think the early closings are causing this, but there is certainly more grubbiness and poverty on display now."

so in Thai logic are the girls are raising their prices ?

OC

You guys can at least try to get the WORDS right if your going to use quotes. For at least the past 5 years, it's always....always....:

"Where You Go". "I go with you" (from the freelancers) It's NEVER that "hey mister" line or "take me home".

And in front of the bars it's always "hello welcome". "hello welcome" "hello welcome".

Never anything different.

"Thailand seems poorer than just a scant six months ago, at least out here. There is an unmistakable difference. I donâ??t think the early closings are causing this, but there is certainly more grubbiness and poverty on display now.

Thailand has changed over the last six months and continues to change, and you can see plenty of signs of this by simply walking down Sukhumvit after hours. "

That is not a conclusion that you draw from spontaneus and unbiased observation. To judge from your previous posts (well written and thought out as they are) you had already decided that Thailand is poorer now than six months ago (when the first anti-foreign investment rules were annonced) and you seem to use your street observations to confirm this preconceived notion. This reversal of "method" of reporting detracts from the authencity of your obserevations. I would prefer observation first and conclusion after and not the other way around.

BTW I am rarely out later then 11 pm these nights so I cannot tell how relevant your impressions are. Of course you might be right.

And in front of the bars it's always "hello welcome". "hello welcome" "hello welcome".

Never anything different.

Ahem. "Hello handsome man". Maybe you don't hear that one? :cover:

I also like the classic "Take care your wife" from the man with a voice like sandpaper. :)

(Well, I did the first few times. I wish he'd learn a few new ones now. I wonder if someone taught him the first one and then died or did he make it up himself and then dry up, like a classic one-hit wonder?)

I don't think any resident is in a good position to make judgements like "Thailand has changed in the last six months" from minor details. It's like living with someone and then suddenly deciding, six months later, that they look much older now. If you see it every day, you won't notice the changes. You'd have to get someone who hasn't seen the place in over six months to really notice.

Summing up then, you'll have to wait until my next visit to get the definitive judgement. :)

I meant to say 90% of the time (not 100%) it's

the phrases listed above

(and probably .0001% of the time, or probably never, the phrases the OP thinks he heard (in fact, he thinks he heard it over and over again)....

But I sure wish there would be something other than "i go with you" over and over, or "hello welcome" over and over, since it gets monotonous.

Archived