Michael Moore slices up US health system in new film

elef

US have always been against popular revolutions and democracies in Latin America, quasi-democratic one-party systems as in Mexico or military dictatorships as Pinochedt in Chile are much easier to handle than democracies which always can be expected to confiscate american companies as those own everything - gifts from old dictators more or less. So all democracies (in Latin America) are by definition communistic and forced to seek help from Soviet Union which way really turning communistic as Castro had to do to survive. They shout communist about Chavez but without Soviet Union and Venezuela one of the biggest exporters of oil to USA makes the situation much more complicated to handle. Chavez selling cheaper oil to poor americans and also sending food to starving americans are effective countermeasures in an internet world. Castro offered to send 5000 doctors to help after Catrina.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A review from Fox News of all sources:

Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies (Cheeky bastard) The film never talks down or baits the audience.

At a press conference on Saturday, Moore said, "This film is a call to action. It's also not a partisan film."

Indeed, in "Sicko," Moore criticizes both Democrats and Republicans for their inaction and in some cases their willingness to be bribed by pharmaceutical companies and insurance carriers.

In a key moment in the film, Moore took a group of patients by boat to the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba because of its outstanding medical care. When they couldn't get into the U.S. naval base, Moore proceeded onto Havana where the patients were treated well and cheaply.

This has caused a great deal of controversy, with the federal government launching an investigation into the trip, which officials say was in violation of the trade and commerce embargo against the Communist country.

Moore, explaining the flap over the trip to Cuba in a press conference, said, "This administration flaunts the law, flaunts the constitution."

Moore now claims the U.S. government says his Cuban footage may be illegal, and Moore said he made a second master copy of "Sicko" and had it shipped it to France immediately just in case of potential government issues.

Source

:doah:

I can't believe I bothered to reply to you.

As usual, you've no comeback to the points where I put you down and so try to create a diversion by firing off more random bullshit. If I then shoot those down, I suppose you'll be off on some other tracks instead of replying on point?

:sleeping:

I think I'll retire from answering to Fidel, content in the knowledge that people here are mostly too intelligent or seasoned to fall for this kind of bullshit. Hey, that's why countries with communism are becoming fewer over the years rather than people rushing to join them. People know it's shit, Fidel.

By the way, aren't you an English teacher? If so, "FORBIDS IT'S CITIZENS" :dunno: .. :shakehead You need to read fewer conspiracy books and more grammar ones before I ever listen to you... :)

By the way, aren't you an English teacher? If so, "FORBIDS IT'S CITIZENS" :dunno: .. :shakehead

Bibblies, Bibblies, Bibblies... now you really are splitting hairs :nahnah: .

No, I'm not an English teacher :smirk: , and I don't support Communism. You're right, man, stop replying to me!

...The clue's in the word 'communist'. That word and 'economic basket case' always go together.

I'd say China & Vietnam are doing pretty well... :stirthepo:stirthepo:stirthepo:stirthepo:stirthepo

But seriously Phil, would you trade your NHS tomorrow for the American system? And can't you buy supplemental insurance to the NHS if you so choose?

And I love how people with no argument against the message always rag on the messenger. What does the fact that Moore is obese or whatever have to do with his message? Rock Hudson was a flaming fag, but does that make his leading men characters any less believeable?

Cheers,

SD

The World Health Organization has just published the latest version of life expectancy statistics. The U.S. is calculated to be 33rd on the list (for males) at 75 years. Cuba is apparently tied with the U.S. at 33rd spot. The U.S. is rated at 32nd best for women. Undoubtedly quality health care and the lack of access to, is an important component in life expectancy. The U.S. position might also be somewhat weakened by poor diets, high levels of traffic fatalities & murder rates. The use of tobacco and and AIDS impact specific countries. The best place for a male to be born in terms of life expectancy? Tiny San Marino at 80 years.

A lot of U.S. health problems are self inflicted. A freind from Belgium was here for the first time and shocked at the portion sizes and we are a 'junk food' nation, as well as tobacco and alcohol consumption.

In poor countries its simply they can't afford a better diet.

Anyway, I do agree that the drug industry here is very very powerful and have a lot of the politicians in their pockets. The politicians are run by huge groups/industries nowadays, whether its drug companies, oil companies, trade unions or defense companies.

I understand those wanting a national health care system. I really do. However, wtih the politicians in the pockets of the drug companies and HMO hospitals, do we really think it will be one that works well.

Here is my problem with the government running any nationalized system. First they waste money at an alarming rate. They don't care for the money we do send them. There is so many 'pork barrel' spending and money seeping elsewhere that it quadruples the cost of anything. Name one nationalized program that is even remotely run well by the government? You may...and I mean may..find an exception somewhere but it would be the rare exception. The government lies about the projected costs and then we buy it and it turns out to cost multiple times what they said it would. Look at medicare and medicaid. That system has cost multiple times what it was envisioned 40 years ago. Social Security is a ponzi scheme. I can't think of anything else to call it. If you or I did the same thing it would be illegal. Those paying in now, pay those on the way out. Welfare is a mess. Growing up you could buy food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar in the hood.

I see a need for a health care system but it simply won't work in the present environment. Its well meaning, but until the federal and state governments get their act together (which won't happen), a national health care system will inflict the same or worse mess on the next generation as social security does now.

It can work in a small homogenous country like Sweden but in America? I have no hope it will. The wolves will be lining up to make money off the system. Politicians, drug companies, HMOs, the states, etc.

Also, why can't each state come up with its own statewide program for statewide healthcare? The health needs of Arizona and Florida (geriatric) are different than the needs of Hawaii (far more younger people). Why does it have to be a federal program? I know why? Because the states have and will f**k over its own people. Who's to say the Federal government won't do the same?

I don't want to come off as I'm against the concept but as I said early on in this post, I simply can't see how it won't be royally f**ked up. The fact that we have not one national program that is even remotely efficiently run scares the hell out of me if we want to take on national health care.

The only way national healthcare will work is if we set up a department devoid of any politics and influence by special interest groups to run it.

Guest lazyphil

<

just thought it ironic moore calling the movie sicko and him looking like a sack of shite :smirk:

buy supplementry insurence on top of the NHS?...sure you can if u have the dough too, most dont and rely on the ever crumbling NHS, so i dont think the uk system is light years ahead of the usa version, moore just used some pathetic example (the chuckling immigrants clip i saw) to make his 'point'.....hes just lapping up the attention with european movie award ceromonys!

"hes just lapping up the attention with european movie award ceromonys! "

Gotta agree with that one. Found it an utter shame to see farhenheit get the Golden Palm in cannes. It was much more a (biaised) political statement than a cinematographic masterpiece.

Must have made the french piss in their pants in joy :(

Archived