Scumbag British Gutter Press

Mekong

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of the BBC, there was some discussion recently on renewal of its Charter. Public Surveys were carried out. I seem to recall that a very low percentage of people said they would be willing to subscribe to the BBC if it became a matter of choice......I do like CBeebies though. Apart from the ridiculous number of ethnic minority presenters.

The Beeb does have a moralistic maternal tone to it for sure. Personally I squirm when I see another documentary about sex slavery in Thailand. But it's fairly sensitive to the public mood I think. If enough people show their disapproval it will adapt. I would say it is an important force for social cohesion in Britain and there's a real danger of fragmentation without it. Of course maybe some people want to see a shake-up but I suspect the majority just want peace and quiet.

I investigated a Chinese syndicate sending girls to the UK for a LWT prod for C4 Dispatches programme a few years ago. Big mistake. Massive rows. We did the work - they wrote the script later in London. I saw a copy 4 days before programme went to air and went ballistic.

Took them to Broadcasting Standards Commission and actually won the case though. They also broke promises of identification of victims. The reporter/prod had a bodyguard with him as 'Bangkok streets at night were dangerous to tread.'

Archived