Korean ladies better looking than Thai?

teddy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Vietnamese is easier to learn than Thai. There are 6 tones and the language is very tone sensitive.

On the other hand it's much easier for self-study since they basically use the ABC system. There are tone marks which clearly show the tone of every word. Vowels and vowel combinations are always pronounced the same. Words are much shorter than Thai words. I recall hearing the local people tell me that a Viet kid could learn to read in about 6 months.

Once you know the way the vowels are pronounced and how to make the tones - rising, falling, low, high glottoral, low glottoral and level you can read and pronounce well enough to be understood.

Of course understanding and speaking requires time and practice.

That doesn't make it easier for me! 6 tones as opposed to 5? That makes it harder!

The tone part is by far the worst thing for me. I can take the reading of Thai, the working out of which tone a syllable is supposed to be. It's the actual execution of the pronunciation, trying to go up then down then somewhere else in the middle of words. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking like the gawky teenager in The Simpsons. :(

Archived