Another old timer gone

Glad to hear he is doing well/better. I remember him from Silver Dollar and Texas Lone staar. Didn't know he had owned a restaurant.

He gave up his restaurant around the early '80s. Then he went to cook at Bourbon Street. After some sort of squabble with the owner, he left and gave up cooking. Too bad since he's a good one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Awful news. Did not know this man terribly well, but saw him often in Washington Square bars when I made it to town. Always shared a few jokes, some BS and a few drinks. Seemed the sort that acquired friends effortlessly, so it's probably an unfortunate fact that a lot of people are grieving. I am sorry for them.

And I am sorry to see you go, Josh. You were one of the good ones.

RIP.

For those who may be interested, there will be a sort of "Irish wake" for Josh at the Texas Lone Staar in Washington Square at 1:00 P.M. Saturday, November 17, 2007.

Also, Doug at Bourbon Street asked to to clarify he and Josh were good friends and never had an argument. I've been here "only" 13+ years, but it certainly is true I never heard Josh speak badly about Doug, nor have I ever heard Doug utter one negative syllable about Josh. Doug did go to Josh's wake at the wat. So, as far as I know, they never had any conflict -- and certainly never bad-mouthed one another to me.

Anyway, Josh is gone, of course, much to everyone's sadness. A number of folks have commented on what a great guy he was, and I sure cast my vote the ssame way. Josh was one of my very favorite people -- anywhere.

I've got a Memorial Page for Josh posted on my website. There's a GREAT photo of him there taken 2-3 years ago by Richard K. Diran, the Square's resident photographer. Feel free to copy it. If the large image isn't of suitable enough quality, look below it and you'll see a link to one that's archival quality. (If you're on a dial-up connection, be prepared for a mighty long wait!) Here's the Memorial Page link:

http://bangkokatoz.com/Josh%20Gaines.htm

We sure do miss you, Amigo. . . .

Archived