3 arrested for planning to blow up JFK airport

Bangkoktraveler

No problem. I think the US can invade and handle Trinidad.

Don't be too certain Flash, it took 6000 Rangers, Marines and Airborne to kick 600 Cubans out of Granada in 1983.

What was it called...Operation "Urgent Storm", that's right, must still have the same spin doctor.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's time for "Calypso Storm"!

p.s. Took more than that!

"From October 25, 1983, the United States, Barbados, Jamaica and members of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States landed ships on Grenada, defeated Grenadian and Cuban resistance and overthrew Coard's government."

Strength: 7,300

Grenada: 1,500 regulars

Cuba: about 722 (mostly military engineers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenada_invasion

They did a pretty good job of killing each other:

"U.S. forces suffered 19 fatalities and 116 injuries. Grenada suffered 45 military and at least 24 civilian deaths, along with 358 soldiers wounded. Cuba had 25 killed in action, with 59 wounded and 638 taken prisoner."

Sounds about the same as my source, The Collins Encyclopedia of Military History, picked up on Ebay for $10, gives slightly different figures.

Clint Eastwood killed at least half those Cubans in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Don't mention that Eastwood film to the Army airborne! Much of what happens in the film in Grenada is factual (including the phone call to the States for air support), but it wasn't done by the Marines.

Seems Eastwood approached the Army about doing the film, asking for permission to use their facilities for free -- and also demanding to be paid a huge chunk of money for the publicity it would provide for the Army. The Army told him to pay for his own damn movie.

Then Eastwood approached the Marine Corps, which jumped at the chance. The script was altered accordingly.

p.s. For OH's benefit:

"Born in San Francisco in 1930, Eastwood moved often as a child as his father worked a variety of jobs along the West Coast. The family settled in Piedmont, California during his teens, and he graduated from Oakland Technical High School in 1949. He subsequently served in the United States Army before seeking an acting career in the early 1950s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood

You have a point. There always seems to be some sort of hyped up event that triggers us to go to "High alert" with these stupid terror warning alerts we have...as though they really do any good. Then of course, we never hear of them again...

So far, a group planning to blow up a mall in Ohio, another buying tons of cellphone at Wallmart, then "parking near a bridge," (the idea was to create the idea they might be planning to blow it up) and numerous other hyped up events...which seem to fade off...

During the Second world war, they kept such shit quiet so as to NOT scare the people and create panic...now it seems just the opposite. And can't blame the media, they just report what the government tells/allows them...

You're so far gone it's really sad.

By the way' date=' what do you mean by the above statement? Another person who knows nothing about me, but because I don't share your views, I'm "..so far gone, it's really sad".

[/quote']

You make an effort to post your jaded views on all posts related to the USA. Just because I don't comment on every one doesn't mean I haven't seen them, but because I don't comment on every one, obviousy I know "nothing" about you.

You're anti-usa views are posted so much one might even come to the conclusion you do more anti-usa propoganda then you accuse the usa of doing themselves.

I have corresponded with Fidel, I don't find him anti American at all. But we as Americans do have to be honest here, we are not doing a very good job of policing ourselves and controlling our government. Too many of us bury our heads in the sand all too often. Hence, it could be said, we are part of the problem...and thus, need an occassional reminder from time to time.

Archived