What American accent do you have (new version)?

Guess this would fit me as Mom and Dad were from the boonies of Cumberland , MD and Altoona , Pa. , but y'all know where i'm from... :D

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

full_428371978.jpg

Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Bada :) Bing

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

full_230021243.jpg

Northeastern

Most people don't know it but this is actually what dictionaries are based on. If you don't believe me, pick up any American dictionary and look up "source" and "sauce" and you'll see they are written with the same vowel pronunciation.

I don't think Americans have problems with regional accents, apart from some sterotypes such as southern accents = redneck, and NY/Jersey Italian = gangster.

Northwest England...does that make you a scouser, or are you too far north...what should we call you?

Signed, an ignorant American idiot who was introduced to a guy from Liverpool the other night and called him a scouser. He was unimpressed, but cool the next time I saw him.

PS. My English friend, who was born there but is hardly English because he's lived most of his life in California, tried to explain to me later, "You can't call him that if you're not English. It's like here, you can't call someone a nigger unless you're a nigger."

No offense to anyone - just a quote.

Archived