What American accent do you have (new version)?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember once sitting with guys in BKK, and some guy was there, going on in a thick accent that turned out to be Scottish. Long story short, not one guy at the table (many of whom were from UK) understood a damned thing the guy had said all night. Nice guy we assumed...

'does that make you a scouser?'..... :rotl:

Mekong a scouser........... :yikes:

you'll have to buy him a beer when you say that to his face...... :applause:

I bet that hurt Teddy more than me :D

Was USV Said:

Northwest England...does that make you a scouser, or are you too far north...what should we call you?

28 Miles west of Liverpool Mancunian. 28 miles is nothing in the States but in the UK there are probably at least 280 regional accents in a 28 mile radius.

As a kid in the UK you tend to notice differances between accents from neighbouring housing estates, then later on the differances within your own district. Even though I have not lived in Manchester for nearly 20 years now when I go back to visit I can still know what area of a city someone is from based on their accent, and if its from my within my old district I could probably tell them the nearest main road they grew up next to.

Its the same with other places in the UK, I probably can differentiate between 5 Scots Accents, 4 Irish, 4 Scouse, North and South Wales, Geordie and Brum I have no clue.

Mekong,

Actually in the states it IS the same, at least in Massachusetts. Each city has its own accent really and you can usually, as a native, tell where a person is from by their accent. A Lynn accent is not the same as a Revere accent, and the cities abut each other. Same for say, a Haverhill accent and a Lawrence accent, two other cities that abut. Usually the influences are not only due to old accents left over from immigrants from certain parts of England from the earliest times, but also immigrants from later immigrations, say Canuk, Polish, Italian, Irish, etc. The locals can easily tell where you are from, or at least where you grew up. Lynners have a distinct accent from Marbleheaders, just two towns away. This is east coasters though. Once you get away from your local area it gets harder to recognize, but even then it is fairly easy to pick up the differences if you have a good ear. Some cities even have very localized slang words that seem to stay within a certain area and not travel to nearby cities and towns.

Cent

There are many different accents in the South, though Yankees seem to think all Southerners talk like Gomer Pyle. :p

p.s. Where my sister lives, the older natives have a posh sounding Tidewater accent brought by the first settlers, who were from Virginia. The newer residents do not and the old accent unfortunately is dying out. Go a few miles out in the countryside and folks have a rural Cracker type accent and really do sound like Gomer Pyle. 50 or 60 miles east into the mountains and you are getting into the distinct Appalachian accent, supposedly based on one brought to America in the 18th century by Ulster Scots. And of course the old plantation dialect is still heard among black folks, at least when the white folks aren't around.

p.p.s. Californians speak very quickly and have an irritating way of pronouncing the "a" in words like "dance" to rhyme with "yeah". They also sprinkle "umm" throughout their conversations.

Well, at least they used to. Nowadays most Californians probably sound like Cisco and Pancho. :(

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

full_641942087.jpg

Canadian

People from outside North America probably think you're from the States, but over here we wouldn't make such a mistake.

Got me right, but I'm not sure how. I thought the "TV media" and "Hollywood" accents were no different than (non-Newfie) Canadian.

When I first visited Hawaii a few years ago I didn't even think about what accent I'd find there, but it was the same as mine (other than the pure natives who sound uncannily like Red Indians here in the Dominion).

Anyway, it's news to me that any American could tell I was Canadian...

Archived