Bangkok Pattaya motorway update?

Palatkik

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The overpasses are for making u-turns mostly. Before the style was to make u-turn bridges, but now it seems the style is to make the main road an overpass, and the u-turn under. Actually this is probably easier/safer but still for this section of road I think 5 overpasses are a bit much. But once done - that 17kms will be able to move in about 8 minutes.

A quick update! There are actually 8 of these darned U-turn bridges being built. Why they have to dig up all 6 lanes of highway to bridge that over the intended underpass at ground level instead of building a cheaper single lane U turn above the 6 lane highway leaving it open is bewildering. My guess is money changing hands rather than any engineering study? I predict at least 2 plus more years before any of this is finished.

Anyway that said the drive on Sunday was quite smooth - under two hours between Pattaya and outer BKK mainly due to the improved 3 lanes of highway now open on the toll part north of Cholburi.

The tollway section south of the southernmost 30baht toll booth now 3 lanes each way (as mentioned by SingaporeSteve above), until you get to the Cholburi by pass interchange (end of tollway). Other tollway sections further north between the two 30baht toll booths now have finished 3 lanes. (finished by Thai standards at least, perhaps they'll paint the white lines on the bits they've missed).

Ok, understand now. This is the motorway still. I did not have any problem with that section - it was only once you depart the motorway onto the Chonburi bypass - from that point to the Laem Chabang cut off (I would guess about 20 to 25 kms) - that section is the complete nightmare.

• 5 months later...

Time for an update.

On the section between where the motorway joins Highway 7 and Pin Tong Industrial Estate / Laem Chabang turnoff 2 off the 5 flyovers are now complete and 65% of the highway is now 5 lanes. I left the Thai Oil refinery at 1:30pm this afternoon and was home in Bangkok (Rama III area)by 2:45pm.

110KM door to door in 75 minutes, and since I got nailed for speeding on the Bangna-Trat 2 weeks ago I cruised along at 120. The bad news is that 2 of the other 3 flyovers still look far from complete and the third may be finished in a months time. Still major bottlenecks during peak travel.

Archived