Falang network

AF16

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say 99% of the foreigners in Thailand are people i wouldn't speak to no matter where i met them.
I'm a friendly guy, really,

I think those two statements are a bit at odds with each other, don't you? If you have a problem with 99% of the Farangs in LOS, then the problem is with you, not them.

When I lived upcountry, there was one modern hotel in town. I liked to go to the coffee shop because it was about the only place in town with a/c. One evening a tour group of Italians (from their language) arrived. One of the waiters said to me, "Aren't you going to talk to your friends?" Apparently, all Farangs are expected to know each other -- since we must come from a small country known as Faranglandia or something.

:dunno:

Thats quite interesting, it must be difficult for Asians knowing which country we are from, after all we are generically caucasian. However, I think on the most part we can tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean and Vietnamese

Anyhow, I dont speak to strangers in my own country, why would I speak to them Abroad. Usually if they speak to me, its because they want money.

I come to LOS to get away from "whiteys" :D

Carew and all,

This happens all the time here in Surin to me. What pisses me off a bit is when you give a friendly nod to the guy and he totally ignores this, no return acknowlegement, no smile, no 'hey, how ya doin'?'. I think many of these guys are antisocial, to the point of being rude. Maybe it is why they are here? I try to be polite and friendly to everyone I run into, and we are farang so it is a 'commonality'. It's not like you are trying to borrow money or get their life's story from them. Maybe they think I'm out to steal their wife, or scam them somehow by giving a nod, a smile, and a good day to you sir? Some of these guys are just plain weird. Mai-sanuk dopes with no class, no clue, and no manners or personality at all. Luckily there are some decent sorts around you can have a chat with and possibly befriend to some degree. Either that, or some of these guys are painfully shy and introverted and maybe need psychotherapy. :smirk: Unfriendly farang cunts the lot of them! :D

I always wonder what the Thais think when they see this antisocial non-interaction between the farangs. I smile and say a sawadee krup to the Thais I see giving me the eye (men and women you wankers-not just the pooying). They almost always smile back, give the nod, and Sawadee krup back. They seem pleased you took notice and said hello. I find the Thais much friendlier and polite than many of the farangs. And no, none of them are out to have me buy them their beers or whatnot. Nothing behind it but the fact they are a friendlier lot than many of the farang races.

We farang are a suspicious bunch. It's a shame. The world would be a lot nicer place if we could loosen up a little and smile once in a while. What are these guys afraid of really?

I blame it on the western news media! They have us all scared of our own shadows. :rolleyes:

Cent

In defence, if a stranger said "hi" to me when I wasn't expecting it, I might not answer them because they caught me off guard.

Do I know this person?

Do they know me?

By the time I work out that both questions are negative they are long gone.

Its not intentional, its just in general the Britis are not used to unexpected pleasentries from strangers, hell, you do that in Brixton and you will probably get a smack, however, Its OK to nod a "hullo" though

I do agree that if you are in the middle of the sticks then a hearty hullo is fine, however, if you are in a bar with a girl on each side and another jerking you off then its probably not the right time :D

I rarely if ever instigate a conversation with another paleface when I'm say in a bar in LOS, or anywhere else for that matter, coz that's just how I am. But if someone introduces themselves, as sometimes happens, I am willing to talk to them, at least until I make my mind up about them. And I'm glad I do, otherwise I wouldn't have had a friend called Zob65 for the last 15 years. Deciding that you will not communicate with anyone you don't know unless they are a BG (or the like) is IMHO ignorance.

The Beergarden on Soi 7 is one of the most condusive atmospheres for initiating a char with a fellow farang.

One Sunday I went in about 4pm and sat down. An British guy was sitting beside me to my right, I was on the corner bit of the bar. To me other side was a Thai girl and and beside her was an Aussie. I tried making abit of convesation with guy on my right. Total wanker, rude. Told me to mind my own business. Abruptly told any advancing girls where to go...what he did tell me before he told me mind my own business was that he had been an investment banker for UBS. But now was teaching English. Hmm, likey story...

On the other hand, The Aussie was real nice guy. We chatted for about 2 hours about all sorts of things. He was a surgeon in Bumrungrad. Nice guy.

Anyway the point of my story is that some people are approachable and some are not....

I think speaking generally that people are too suspicious of people/strangers. I prefer to treat everyone like a mate until they prove otherwise. Rather than trying to figure someone out over time.

I have made some real nice friends by bein upfront and friendly with strangers...

I would say 99% of the foreigners in Thailand are people i wouldn't speak to no matter where i met them.
I'm a friendly guy, really,

I think those two statements are a bit at odds with each other, don't you? If you have a problem with 99% of the Farangs in LOS, then the problem is with you, not them.

No, the 2 statements are not at odds with each other at all...i don't wanna waste my time with neanderthals, but if an individual is able to demonstrate a modicum of wit and is not possessed of some peculiar affinity with ineptitude or entrenched in dysfunctional reasoning, then i'm as friendly as a BG who has just married a multi-millionaire with terminal cancer. I don't suffer fools...but that doesn't make me unfriendly, it means i avoid imbeciles...and there's plenty of the foreign variety in Thailand.

"The Beergarden on Soi 7 is one of the most condusive atmospheres for initiating a char with a fellow farang. "

Jeesusfuckingchristonaredhotspade!!!Beergarten soi 7 :shakehead I can't figure out how someone could ever sit and have a drink there... even less socialize...

"The Beergarden on Soi 7 is one of the most condusive atmospheres for initiating a char with a fellow farang. "

Jeesusfuckingchristonaredhotspade!!!Beergarten soi 7 :shakehead I can't figure out how someone could ever sit and have a drink there... even less socialize...

The seating arrangements make it easy to start up a conversation...but yes it is a bit of a freak show and its bloody warm...hey Kojis man, dont judge a book by its cover. Underneath there are actually some dead on people in there...

Archived