Can a GTG or a BG spot if you are an English Teacher?

David99UK

This sentence contains an amazing choice of words for a Thai national to use, what do you English teachers think?

Having met Mrs Mekong on many occasions, I have little doubt that those were the words she uttered...

Now who's being snobby? No offense Pe7e...

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"And in our (the MN expats) case, being seen hanging around with those of lesser status can very well be a career killer."

Talk about snobbism.

What if those of 'lesser status' are life long friends? What if they are family?

It does pretty much re-affirm what I have always thought. Drop a rich person in a group of poor people and he will likely be fine, however drop a poor person in with a group of rich people and he will be utterly ignored (or ridiculed).

Sanuk!

KS, you know as well as I that this is true. Mostly aplies to whom you date, but if you bring along the wrong sorts to a company function, it's trouble. Moseso for Asian companies, but also for MNCs.

As I said, I do not make the rules. I do not like them. I just know they exist. And like all rules, you can choose to make exceptions.

"Drop a rich person in a group of poor people and he will likely be fine, however drop a poor person in with a group of rich people and he will be utterly ignored (or ridiculed)." Dude, that's a surprise? How many 1000s of Hollywood movies have that exact premise? They get it from somewhere...

Regards,

SD

BTW, are you one of those guy's I see at Soi Cowboy still wearing their tie (well after work)?

Sometimes, if I couldn't be arsed to go home first. But my clothing fits well and it is not an inconvenience to wear a necktie. In fact, I generally forget it is there.

Your point is?

Cheers,

SD

Some of us 'vocationally desperate' people have to do this line of work if we want to stay here. There is nothing else for us to do. It's not my fault, it is how things are here. Find me something better to do...

Go home?? :beer:

It might not be thing that you *WANT* to do, but when you look back on it in hindsight, it may be the *SMART* thing to do.

I am a classic example of that at the moment.

I have been working in LOS for the past 6 years.

I was earning a good salary (not huge, but good enough to have a decent lifestyle - 80,000 per month).

I was informed that at the end of May this year my company wouldn't be renewing my contract as they'd decided to hire a local person to do my job. It gutted me after 6 years loyal service to them.

At the time, I did have another job lined up, which conveniently was starting a couple of weeks after my original job finsihed. However, this ended up getting put an somewhat of an indefinite hold due to reasons beyond anyone's control.

I had another offer through a friend to go and teach English for 35,000 baht per month in a school in BKK. I seriously thought about it for the sheer fact that it would "let me stay in Thailand."

Then I decided that this wasn't the right decision for me. Sua Dum's post was spot on the money.

over 25 and under 55, and living on a English school teacher's package (not an International or an accredited University's package), you are headed for ruin. Those years are the time you make money for your retirement, for your whole life. It's kinda important to be gainfully employed in that timeframe.

I'm in no way judging people who choose to do the above - it's your life and fair play to you. It's just not for me.

I'm 35 years old now. And at the end of the day, coming home to Farangland shouldn't be viewed as a prison sentence. I love Australia and it's a great place to live. If I'd have stayed in Bangkok, just for the sake of staying in LOS, I'd have spunked heaps of money I don't have, and the change in my lifestyle due to a huge drop in salary would have been unacceptable to me.

It's far better for me to bite-the-bullet and come home and work here until this original job that got delayed comes back up, or, until something equal to or better comes along.

I'm only 35. If I do the "hard yards" now, I can still live in LOS later on for many years in the future.

No, I didn't want to come back after 6 years in LOS, and it's very hard fitting in back in Farangland. There isn't an hour that goes past when I don't wish I was doing the things I was doing in LOS. But I know that for now I've definitely made the right decision.

I've seen a lot of people in LOS, particularly BKK and Pattaya, staying there and hanging on by a thread financially just for the sake of staying there. (Not saying you're doing this, just making a point in response to your post). It's easy to say "the future will take care of itself", but the fact is that it won't. I would much rather do "the hard yards" now and enjoy myself in LOS later knowing I have no financial worries. I'll still get up there on vacation at least 3 or 4 times a year, so that's not bad at all.

And if this original job offer resurfaces I'll be back there sooner than I think!

But for now, I think I've done the right thing coming home.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

BTW' date=' are you one of those guy's I see at Soi Cowboy still wearing their tie (well after work)?[/quote']

Sometimes, if I couldn't be arsed to go home first. But my clothing fits well and it is not an inconvenience to wear a necktie. In fact, I generally forget it is there.

Your point is?

Cheers,

SD

I don't need to make a point here. You're doing fine all by yourself. :rolleyes:

Ah, so you have no point and are just talking to hear yourself talk.

Fair enough.

Regards,

SD -- moving to the other side of the room, thinking maybe lighting a cigar will make him go away? LOL, just kidding

Hi,

"Mostly aplies to whom you date, but if you bring along the wrong sorts to a company function, it's trouble. "

Ah, you did not mention company functions earlier. That does make a difference. Bringing your 'bargirl of the day' to a company function is just sheer stupidity, however if that girl is an ex-bargirl and happens to be your wife of 5 years then she *should* be accepted. 'Your wife' *should* take precedence over 'ex-bargirl'; unfortunately it will not.

Sanuk!

My policy (in LA) is to lose the necktie as soon as I leave the office. If I don't have my car, I'll crumple it up and stick it in my pocket, no matter what the consequences.

As far as Bangers is concerned, you can't tell a person's social status by whether they're still wearing a tie or not, unless you're looking at the quality of clothing.

When you see a guy trolling around the Nana Hotel restaurant, looking for a b500 fuck, at 3 in the morning, wearing a cheap necktie, then you have a pretty good idea as to what he does for a living.

I have no bias against English teachers, either. There are some brilliant and dedicated people among them. How they choose to live their lives and make their money is not for me to criticise.

Archived