Can a GTG or a BG spot if you are an English Teacher?

David99UK

Guest lazyphil

mekong, surely, the genuine english teachers who put their heart and soul into the job deserve your exclusive company, afterall they maybe low paid, relative to you but are doing sterling work in los for the good of the thai people. you and your wifes attitude does seem a trifle iffy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At first sighting I doubt if an English teacher could be distinguished from any other punter, but based on observations over a 2-3 month period it is probably obvious based on habits/spending.

No offence to English teachers but my wife came out with a classic statement about them a few years ago when I actually gave them the time of day.

Expats on multinational transfers shouldn't have to associate with the middle aged vocationally desperate foreigners on paper boy salaries.

Probably the best advice she ever given to me.

You really are an arrogant snob. Not everyone is as fortunate as you seemingly are. Some of us 'vocationally desperate' people have to do this line of work if we want to stay here. There is nothing else for us to do. It's not my fault, it is how things are here. Find me something better to do....For the record there are many teachers who are younger than 40...and your grammar is awful.

I think English teachers will find it hard not take offense :(

BTW, what does tuppence ha' penny snob mean? Its an English idiom of some sort? would like to know what it means...have heard it before...

Mekong defines it better than I can explain it, he seems to be the epitome of one.

I think English teachers will find it hard not take offense :(

BTW' date=' what does tuppence ha' penny snob mean? Its an English idiom of some sort? would like to know what it means...have heard it before...[/quote']

Mekong defines it better than I can explain it, he seems to be the epitome of one.

Got it :D

BTW, what does tuppence ha' penny snob mean? Its an English idiom of some sort? would like to know what it means...have heard it before...

'Tuppence ha' penny' is an extreamly small amount of money in the UK (1p to be precise - less than a baht). A snob is a person who considers themselves far superior to those around them. Therefore the saying implies the person has a superior attitude well in excess of their true/deserved status.

Expats on multinational transfers shouldn't have to associate with the middle aged vocationally desperate foreigners on paper boy salaries.

This sentence contains an amazing choice of words for a Thai national to use, what do you English teachers think?

'Tuppence ha' penny' is an extreamly small amount of money in the UK (1p to be precise - less than a baht). A snob is a person who considers themselves far superior to those around them. Therefore the saying implies the person has a superior attitude well in excess of their true/deserved status.

This sentence contains an amazing choice of words for a Thai national to use, what do you English teachers think?

Her English is much better than mine :D

Thanks for the definition Pe7e

She's quite right. You don't have to. You get to. Consider yourself fortunate.

BTW, are you one of those guy's I see at Soi Cowboy still wearing their tie (well after work)?

You really are an arrogant snob. Not everyone is as fortunate as you seemingly are. Some of us 'vocationally desperate' people have to do this line of work if we want to stay here. There is nothing else for us to do. It's not my fault, it is how things are here. Find me something better to do....For the record there are many teachers who are younger than 40...and your grammar is awful.

I'll defend Mekong. I'm sure you are not surprised. But the reality is, English teachers and multinational expats and/or business owners travel in very different circles. We'd bore each other to tears as we've nothing in common except "farangness;" and you would not be able to keep up if we went to places like Caribbean, or Lord Jim's or where ever. I mean (not bragging, just reality) when people post that their biggest bar bill was B4k, I just laugh. That's not even dinner.

And in our (the MN expats) case, being seen hanging around with those of lesser status can very well be a career killer. I do not make the rules. I just know what they are. Sorry if you no likey.

Finally, who cares what Mekong's grammar is like? The only metric where that is relevant here is "how is the grammar of your students?" That's a measure of your success as a teacher. Given what I have seen/heard, the English teacher profession in BKK has nothing of which to be proud (hopefully your students are the exception :dunno: ). Mekong's metric of success is entirely different. That is, if he can make his employer happy, who gives a rat's arse about his language skills?

Regards,

SD - who knows it is easier to go slummin' than to go hi-so...

PS -- He is doing you a favour, really. If you are over 25 and under 55, and living on a English school teacher's package (not an International or an accredited University's package), you are headed for ruin. Those years are the time you make money for your retirement, for your whole life. It's kinda important to be gainfully employed in that timeframe. And a stint at a private English school in a third world country is not very flash on a CV, ya know what I mean? As Torrenova's signature used to say: "When you've done your dough, it's time to go."

Archived