Wacky "almost broke"

Dumsoda

Did CC even have pensions? I think CC only offered a 401K plan NOT a defined benefit plan. So she will not lose that money.

I hear that Denmark does not have a minimum wage and yet working people are not homeless and starving in the streets.

She told me she'll get about $120 a month from them. She has a degree in programming, and they hired her to run their computer records section. Then after a few months, they got rid of the computers and went back to filing records in cardboard boxes! But they kept her at the same salary, so she stayed with them - being moved from position to position.

The Danish metalworking industries have traditionally employed the minimum wage system, where only a minimum wage is fixed in the collective agreement while the actual wage is the result of enterprise level bargaining. Other sectors have used the standard wage system, where the actual wage is determined in the collective agreement.

When the different areas of agreement were merged into one overall industrial agreement the minimum wage system became applicable to all.

Since the minimal wage agreement focuses on enterprise level bargaining, the consequence is that it is not a matter of course that an agreement, which stipulates a certain minimum wage increase, will necessarily lead to similar increases in actual wages.

According to DI, 25% of the employees did not get a wage increase in 1993. At the same time other groups got more than the increase in minimum wages. A wage rate of approximately 50% above the minimum wage level is not unusual.

In 1995, CO-industri entered into a salaried employees' agreement with DI (Funktionæroverenskomsten). This is characterised as a framework agreement containing general guidelines for the determination of wages but without setting the concrete wage rates, although it does stipulate provisions for minimum wages for apprentices and trainees. The basic principle is that the wage is determined individually between the employer and the individual employee. If there is an elected shop steward (which requires more than six members in the company), then he or she will negotiate the average level of the wage increase in the company. Until 1995 Teknisk Landsforbund (The Trade Union of Danish Technicians) and DI had an equivalent agreement.

It is often argued that the Danish model is based on agreements and, in turn, the absence of provisions by law to a much larger extent than in any other European country, including the Nordic countries. This is the case for hourly paid workers but not for salaried employees. Since the 1930â??s there has been specific legislation, funktionærloven (Act on Salaried Employees), which provides for job security, severance schemes, sickness benefit etc. for salaried employees.

The big chains and franchisers in the US are the leading opponents of any rise in the minimum wage. In purchasing power, the minimum wage has actually gone down over the past couple of decades.

Screw the proles! :(

Over all in the USA, wages are down compared to inflation...wages simply have not kept up with the cost of things...

Did CC even have pensions? I think CC only offered a 401K plan NOT a defined benefit plan. So she will not lose that money.

I hear that Denmark does not have a minimum wage and yet working people are not homeless and starving in the streets.

Weird thing is, in EUrope and other places, you can have a crap job and still scrape by, here you are just screwed. Here in the SFO area, $45,000usd is about the poverty limit for a family of 4.

Over the years, I have met guys from Europe that had low end jobs like floor installer, "bin man" and such...all made enough to get by and still afford a 1 month holiday in LOS...unheard of here for those in the same professions...

Archived