Pedestrian safety

yfs

Helps to be large enough to cause a major dent...

I am very appreciative of the fact that the drive on the left in Thailand. Makes crossing the road that bit less hazardous, though I do still look in all directions while crossing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Helps to be large enough to cause a major dent...

I am very appreciative of the fact that the drive on the left in Thailand. Makes crossing the road that bit less hazardous, though I do still look in all directions while crossing.

and just the opposite for us from the USA-Canada etc

I really have to think about it,

another thing is how fast the buses go down Sukumvit inches from the people waiting to cross the street,

Amazing drunk tourists do not get swished more often !

OC

The reason why us Brits drive on the Left Hand side of the road is so that we pass each other right hand to right hand, from the old days of horseback riding and carrying a sword, one could defend oneself. (maybe Americans drive on the right so the passanger can do a drive by shooting)

As for polite drivers 55555 never get in my way, the reason you don't stop is because the guy behind you will run up your back end, amd motorcycles should stay on the footpath, keep the cunts off the road and out of my way.

and a reason why many European Countries drive on the wrong side of the road is because of Bonaparte.

most of them that he overran were forced to adapt the wrong side of the road tactic.

but as he never conquered the mighty Brits we kept the sensible idea.....left rules..... :thumbup:

and a reason why many European Countries drive on the wrong side of the road is because of Bonaparte.

most of them that he overran were forced to adapt the wrong side of the road tactic.

but as he never conquered the mighty Brits we kept the sensible idea.....left rules..... :thumbup:

That and Hitler.. They made the Czechs drive on the wrong side.

<< The reason why us Brits drive on the Left Hand side of the road is so that we pass each other right hand to right hand, from the old days of horseback riding and carrying a sword, one could defend oneself. (maybe Americans drive on the right so the passanger can do a drive by shooting) >>

Ah, go on! Only the posh could afford horses and were allowed to carry swords. Ordinary folks walked and beat each other over the head with quarterstaffs.

The Romans drove - or at least passed - on the left. Always wondered how mainland Europe got switched around. Reason the Yanks drive on the right is supposedly because the wagon brake handle was on the right. Wagons passed on narrow and crappy rural roads on each other's right, so they wouldn't collide and shear off the brake handle.

p.s. Folks do drive on the left in the US Virgin Islands. The islands used to belong to Denmark, but actually were settled mainly by Brits (and African slaves).

sorry KS,but you and the rest of you Dutchies are wrong...... :nono:

in the UK we had Tufty the Squirrel and Green Cross Man(Dave Prowse-----Darth Vader)teaching the kids how to cross the road safely.

how can you not trust Darth Vader......... :hmmm:

and Tufty is a hero............ :monkey:

silly Countries drive on the wrong side of the road..... :mooning:

i grew up and still do the left,right,left look.

Thailand is ideal for me.......same,same..... :beer:

Is it me or has any one else noticed that drivers of automobiles have become much more courteous to pedestrians crossing the streets? It seemed in the past that drivers would rarely stop while one was crossing the street, but now it seems the norm. What happened?

Now if the motorbikes would get off the sidewalks everything would be hunky dory.

I think you have just been developing your subconscious Thai road sense and now know when to stop and when to go. Know how people avoid walking into each other? Who goes left or right is determined by physical queues (eye movements, maybe eye contact, purposefulness, visible attentiveness) up to 50m away. We process these signals without even realizing it most of the time - about the only time we notice is when we fuck up occasionally and do that embarrassing dance when two pedestrians nearly collide and shuffle the same direction to get around each other a few times before the embarassed smile happens, one person stands still and the other goes around.

Same happens here with cars as the road rules are more like guidelines... walk to the curb, keep walking at the same pace unless you are going to get run down, make eye contact with an approaching vehicle driver, look away and keep walking (but keeping car in peripheral vision in case they aren't going to follow the 'code' for some reason), car stops, you keep going.

(and are then wiped out by a drunk pizza express delivery motorcycle on the sidewalk)

It is a real eye opener when you become conscious of the signals. You can navigate crowded sidewalks soooo much faster. Nana plaza to soi cowboy in 10 mins!

The reason why us Brits drive on the Left Hand side of the road is so that we pass each other right hand to right hand, from the old days of horseback riding and carrying a sword, one could defend oneself. (maybe Americans drive on the right so the passanger can do a drive by shooting)

quote]

Considering something like 90% of the world's population is right-handed it would only make sense to have the driver on the left side so that he/she could operate the gear shift with their predominant hand.

Face it Brits and other riff-raff, YOU drive on the wrong side of the road. I'll take a passenger carrying a 9mm over you sword packing pansies any day. :D

Archived