Pedestrian safety

yfs

The reason why us

Considering something like 90% of the world's population is right-handed it would only make sense to have the driver on the left side so that he/she could operate the gear shift with their predominant hand.

Face it Brits and other riff-raff' date=' YOU drive on the wrong side of the road. I'll take a passenger carrying a 9mm over you sword packing pansies any day. :D

[/quote']

Why does it make sense to change gear with the right hand?

Steering is a much more precise action, by necessity, and can't be delayed or mistimed.. I'd rather steer right handed any day.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking...if it is "natural" to drive a motor vehicle on the left side of the road...then why do people mostly walk on the right side?

Japan...walk on the right side...Bangkok, same.

I think the point of people mostly being right handed is valid and that the natural inclination is to walk and drive on the right side.

I would *** guess *** that at one time, the UK had a king that was left handed and thus began driving on the left side because it was "natural" for him to do and everyone else had to follow suit...IMO and just a guess.

as a rule i walk on the left,conditioned to it....but.

if with any type of Female i will walk on her right.

this is because i was taught it was polite and Gentlmenly to walk between a Woman and the road....chivalry is not dead....

Mr RayRay.

i am a Brit and one of the riff-raff.

driving a car is a no brainer,you use all 4 limbs(if driving a manual)without thinking about it.

if you are right in stating that so many people are right-handed then i am at an advantage.

it means i sit in the right hand side of the car and i have to change gear with my 'weaker' hand(which isn't that difficult)and i have my(stronger)hand free to wave around that 9mm you mentioned.

whereas a right-handed American driving on the left hand side of a car would be using his 'weaker' left hand to wave that 9mm around.

i would imagine most people could wield a weapon with their 'stronger' hand a lot better then with their 'weaker' hand?.

but it's funny but i drive one-handed and that is with my left hand.

i only use my right hand when i have to change gear.

Mekong was trying to explain about one of the theories as to why the Brits drive on the left.

i thought you tried to put him down in a foolish way.

he was explaining about something from hundreds of Years ago,so where does your stupid mention of a gun come into the equation?.

Aren't we glad that Thais share the best of both worlds; they drive on the left, the right, down the center and on the sidewalk. The rule of thumb is you can drive where nobody else is driving. Glad we have 2 thumbs.

yeah...but they have no qualms about driving right into (or across, etc.) the space where someone is walking!!

preahko

he was explaining about something from hundreds of Years ago,so where does your stupid mention of a gun come into the equation?.

The mention of a gun came from the same post you are referencing where it was mentioned:

(maybe Americans drive on the right so the passanger can do a drive by shooting)

Archived