CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 07/08

sayjann

I wouldn't continue a conversation with any gooner if he started a conversation with 'First, Wenger has to go...'.

You don't have to be gooner from the old days to know the man is the best thing that has happened to Arsenal since Chapman in the '30s.

Theo made a run that only Henry was capable of doing. It was Henry-esque. I saw one live in '04 against the same Liverpool side at Highbury where he made a mazy run through the LFC squad.

The crucial referee decisions in both matches were bad but we didn't take our chances when we should. In any sport you never put yourself in a position where the referee decides the game, you win it with good football.

I am not as heartbroken as I would have been had we been playing well but we haven't and so it was kinda expected.

Some changes need to happen though in the squad. Eboue has to go. I don't like his antics and he's becoming an embarassment at times. We need a true wide player. An Overmars type of winger who can run at defenses with the ball at pace and put in proper crosses and score 10 or more league goals a season. Hleb is a good player but he's a central midfielder converted to a wide man. He doesn't score enough but he does serve a purpose. Rosicky has problems staying fit. Walcott is better inside, he's not a winger. He's best used for his pace running at the defense more centrally.

Another cenral defender please! Woodgate was available, even though he did have a dodgy fitness record. But he's quality. I'd break the bank for Micah Richards. He's big as brick shit house, can deal with the Drogbas and Crouches of the league and has pace and can cover at RB in a bind.

Almunia has done better than I thought but we really do need a top class keeper behind the defense.

I'll quit as I can go on forever.

At this writing man yoo just scored so the tie is over. They are the bookies favorite as well. Fergie looking for a CL/EPL double. Who'd have thought it would happen?

Most gooners are pessimistic about Sunday's match. I think the squad could play with more freedom without the pressure of the CL on their shoulders and the league just about out of reach. I'd like to see Theo get a lot of minutes on the pitch for the remainder of the season.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was uncomfortable, if Roma had of scored that penalty it would have put a whole different complection on the game, I would have been more relaxed if we had of scored in the 7th minute and not 71st, thats football I suppose an emotional roller coaster.

People go on about United's depth in strengh of the squad but to be honest the team that was out tonight did not give me confidence before kick off and as the game went on I was getting more and more uncomfortable. In the first 10 minutes we controlled midfield but after that we allowed Roma to push us back and gave away too much possesion, the defence were scrambling the ball away not controling it in their usual assured way.

SAF must have had one eye on Sunday's game based on the players that did not start tonight and they managed to scrape the required result but will need to perform a lot better against Barcelona if we wish to make it to the final, Roma were afforded far too many chances yet again tonight and only poor finishing and some good last ditch defending and goalkeeping save SAF's blushes.

I apologise for my hyper-posting / semi running commentary, over here in Seoul the game kicked off at 3:45AM its a public holiday amd all the bars closed early so I was watching from the hotel room. To compound the fact after 8 weeks on the road around SE Asia living out of a Suitcase and in Hotel rooms it was confirmed to me this morning I will be allowed to go home to Bangkok on Saturday for my planned weeks vacation for Songkran. One weeks RnR at home with the wife and family for Thai New Year and my beloved United in CL Semi's ... Yes Not a bad day for me.

I look forward to Sunday's game with a large Vodka and a big fat doobie sat in the comfort of my own home.

PS 11 Consecuitive Home wins in Top Flight European Competition, the outright record now!

have to agree with most of your comments.

MU looked a little vunerable at times when defending,but that said VDS looked quite comfortable in Goal.

Pique stepped in and looked good as usual,let's hope we don't let him go in the summer.

but being behind Rio and the Serbinator will not be good for his career.

as you said MU create a new record of 11 successive home wins in the PL..... :applause::yay:

great to see Red Nev back on the pitch after 13 Months..... :chili:

a loyal servant who deserved the standing ovation when he came on...... :worship:

and he also earned his 99th European appearance.... :up:

but Fergie denied Scholes his 100th appearance by resting him.... :thumbdown:

"Arsene knows"

So says the banner in front of the north bank goal.Yes he does and of course he must stay.However the 'yes men' that surround him on the coaching staff must go.

Steve Bould'Nigel Winterburn'Tony Adams-Martin Keown'Lee Dixon.

Any of these players would be better captains even now, rather than Gallas.

We need some good old fashioned English backbone to stiffen up the defence.

Theo?God bless him...lets hope he gets a decent run in the side next season.

Back to the football and the Champions League Semi-Finals

Which is more appealing to the neutral, another Liverpool v Chelsea bore or Barcelona v United?

April 23rd at the Estadia del Futbol Club Barcelona, the actual Champions League Final

for the 2nd Season running 3 English Teams in the Semi-Finals,a good advert for the PL.

a pity most Teams have few English Players..... :sad:

Liverpool/Chelsea will be another bore i think and Chelsea will moan more than Winger if they lose.

i fancy MU to beat Barcalona who i think are looking a tad jaded this Season.

no Ronaldinho,perhaps Messi missing and Henry not looking at his best.

a good time to play them,the Germans could easily have beaten them on Wednesday.

i would be happy with a 1 Goal loss in the Nou Camp in the 1st leg.

i fancy MU to beat anyone at home at the moment.

so i've now put the jinx on my Team saying that.

we'll probably lose to the Arse and Barcalona now............

• 2 weeks later...

for the 3rd time in 4 Years Liverpool and Chelsea give us a bore fest.

thought the Game was a little boring.

Cech saved Chelsea from losing by a couple of Goals but i didn't think Chelsea were that impressive going forward.

Riise's OG was a disaster for Liverpool and think Chelsea will now be fave's to reach the Final.

These games will never be entertaining, the pre-match fluff is hyped up to such a crescendo that what you get is nowhere near the mark.

Unfortunately for Liverpool and Chelsea, they are so well-balanced that they almost negate each other.

Having said that, it wasn't boring, both teams were trying to score and I;ve seen much much worse.

About bleedin time we get some luck at Anfield...

Still think the scousers will go through on penalties though....

don't really know how i feel about the result against Barca.

they were dominant in possession but never really threatened MU's Goal.

they were good up until 25 Yards from Goal but lost the plot after that.

MU were easy in defence and looked in no trouble most of the time.

i was a little worried when Henry was introduced because he has been our nemesis over the Years,but it turned out ok.

i'm not sure wether a 0-0 is good result.

if Barca score then MU have to get 2 and that might be a hard task.

Ronaldo missing a penalty could be a big issue in the end.

i thought it was a harsh decision for the penalty in the 1st place and thought the 2nd incident when Ronaldo was clearly taken out was more of a penalty.

but Ronaldo still pisses me off.

an oppossing Player only has to breathe within 5 Yards of him and he falls over and appeals for a free-kick.

i just wish he would play his own Game and get on with it.........

when he does lose the ball he sits there moaning while the ball is pinged upfield and MU are on the defensive while he sits on the grass waving his arma about........wanker.

congrats to Paul Scholes................ :bow::applause::beer:

only the 9th Player to play in 100 CL Games.

that make 2 Utd Players in the top 9 appearances and another waiting with Red Nev on 99 appearances.

and while Beckham has passed the milestone with 2 Teams the majority have been with MU.

interesting to see that Liverpool,Arsenal and Chelsea have no Players near the 100 appearance mark.

is it a case that they just want instant success and are not bothered about Players staying at the Clubs for a long time....... :question: :question: :question:

Archived