Get A Job

Nervous_Dog

Ever tried to pay your bill in a Thai restaurant in Australia with a credit card?

Yep, regularly. All cards incl Amex.

In Melbourne though and slightly more upmarket than the typical Thai eatery. They serve very good authentic Isaan dishes as well as catering to the "local" market.

I can't keep "Tiger" away from the place when he's in Melbourne, however I feel that the attraction is probably as much the owner as the food and ambience....lol...

Cheers DS

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how the sign can be called illegal with the info you have given.

Perhaps the person who wrote the 'help wanted' sign can only write in thai? There are many scenarios I can come up with that would make the sign an honest attempt to find a proper employee. I wonder what they would do if a falang who could read and write thai applied.

It could be easily argued that signage in Thai script targets those who can read it, Thai folk. Thats fairly easily to understand. In Australia our language is English, so to advertise to the broader comunity English is the language you would use. That is unless you did'nt want anyone except a Thai to apply for the position you advertise.

In Australia we have equal oppourtunity laws that prevent discrimination and aim to give everyone equal oppourtunity regardless of sex, race, religion or age.

This I think is an important law which also happens to protects Thai's living here as well.

About the Coke machine. Four years ago my wife who did'nt know Chiang mai from Pat Pong and believe me she was quite amused by it.

FA...

Very true and i agree with you..

My wife and many other Thais we mix with are in the hospitality industry...and require staff ...chefs ,cooks etc ...only want and need Thais for these positions....some however have Aussies out back washing up and doing home deliveries....

Yeah that happen to me in NZ (Christchurch) the three Thai resturants we visited were run by a Chinese, Cambodian and a Kiwi couple...food was shit in all three.

In Melbourne....most of the Thai resturants we visit are thai-run,owned & staffed, however, I don't go to Chinese-type resturants selling advertised "Thai-food" in a Bain Marie's!

Archived