Get A Job

Nervous_Dog

"...I saw a sign in an Adelaide Thai resteraunt offering employment-in Thai. very illegal and just downright wrong IMO. ..."

WHy is it illegal or wrong to advertise in Thai? I mean they obviously want a Thai person...I suppose one could be there legally, and not speak enough English to understand an ad written in English, happens here all the time...or am I missing something?

Something to do with the equal opportunity act OH, ways around it though... just stipulate waiter/waitress must read and write Thai.

More and more people working for cash in Australia now, $10 an hour in the hand is probably as good as award rate after tax. Bad luck if you injure yourself though.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There would be no need to a waiter or waitress in Australia to need to read or write Thai to work in a Thai restaurant IMO.

If the cook speaks only Thai (for whatever reason -- illegal), it would be helpful to hire a Thai-speaking/reading/writing waiter, no? There are certainly reasons to want to hire a Thai in a Thai restaurant, and finding qualified Thais might be improved by a Thai language ad. Also, note that the ad targets Thai speakers, not Thais, so it's addressing a skill, not an innate characteristic such as race, nationality, etc, which is legally offensive.

Would it be illegal to advertise employment in the Thai (Chinese, etc) language press in Australia?

cheers,

YimSiam :D

The first time I took my wife to singapore was the first time she had ever seen a coke machine. She could'nt believe it, she wondered why Thailand did'nt have such things until I broke down the probable cost of a coke machine against the cost of employing someone to sell coke 24/7.

I've seen a few coke machines in Bangkok. One is in Krung thong plaza in Pratunam (opposite Platinum fashion mall). If I recall correctly it costs like 15 baht for a can so you are probably better of buying it from 7/11 if your not in the neighbourhood.

Archived