echoes from Vietnam in Iraq

foreigner

Iraq and Vietnam, he said, are both products of failed civilian and military leadership. Presidents John F. Kennedy and George W. Bush began with flawed aims and assumptions, and in both cases they produced military strategies that were doomed to fail.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/18667.html

lately I've realized that the 'insurgents' are kinda same same as the NVC . motivated & brave warriors fighting for their society / culture.

&

the Iraq military is similar to the S. Viet forces .. motivated only by a job/pay check & unwilling to stand & fight.

the Iraq military will never stand & fight.

what's your child's draft # will soon be a topic at the local safeway.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

yes something brave about blowing up innocent fellow muslim children and women folk to little bits and pieces while trying to shop, more logical and just to engage with the infidels??

god speed the american forces and secure our oil. nothing in vietrnam worth securing bar rice and los had plenty to go around in the 60's i'm sure.

Suicide bombers lend a whole new dimension to the Iraq/Arab conflict.

Fighting directly with the American forces is a no win situation; once air power and superior technology enter the equation the games over quickly.

History shows that terrorists normally win if they can can last the opposition out, Israel was born in very similar circumstances, with terrorist groups like Irgun and the Stern Gang eventually achieving their goals, then forming the core of the new Israeli Army.

I agree that it's about securing oil but do you think that if the Americans withdraw from Iraq that they wont be sitting at the trading table with the victors within weeks?

Guest lazyphil

your cut is very cheap use of it considoring the research that goes on using is, the refining, the transportation of it etc etc.

yes its ours, dont be so naive.

Hi,

"secure our oil"

Our oil???? Doesn't it belong to the country the oil is found in? Or even more specific to the person owning the piece of land the oil is found in?

If not, then where is my cut from the oil fields in Texas?

Sanuk!

Fucked up land ownership laws here. You could own the land, someone else can own the oil/natural gas, timber etc...really screwed up. There have been cases where people had to allow others to drill for oil/natural gas, and NOT pay the land owner...as for Texas, you will have to deal with the Ashole from Crawford...still want to have the oil? "Sheik Sanuk?" :)

Hi,

I am being naive? Please explain to me how you came to that conclusion based upon this thread.

I would say that thinking the oil in the Middle East is 'ours' is the naive statement. Why would 'we' have more right to it than 'they' whose land is has been found in?

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

without western tech it would still just be black goo to them, sure its on their land, so what?

anyway, lets go all out for nuke power and let them swim in the darn stuff.

OK, tough call, *but* suppose it was water...now, I have All or most of the water...I don't want to share/sell at a reasonable price...I am a nut job to everyone, because they need my water...now does it maybe seem to make some sense to think the rest of the world has some right to have/buy it?

Phil raised a point, research and development, setting up the infrastructure etc, was done by oil companies, not of Arab origin...make no mistake about it, Phil is not alone in his thinking. These companies do have an attitude of "We bought it, it is ours." Not saying this is right or wrong, just saying I understand it.

Hi,

Ah, so since we invented ways of using it, we now own the entire resource? Does the same apply to iron, coal, grain, sand, etc?

I bet there will be quite a lot of manufacturers who will love that idea.

"These companies do have an attitude of "We bought it, it is ours." "

That's a bit different than using "our oil" when referring to oil that is still in the ground and unpaid for, isn't it?

Sanuk!

Archived