echoes from Vietnam in Iraq

foreigner

Yes, it is a lot different to rationale people, or even people like us :) but the fact remains, many do see it as "ours." In fact, listen to the news media, and GWB and others, it is often referred to as "the world's oil" and thus implies some sort of claim to it...in a lot of ways, it is like saying who owns the air...I might argue we all have a claim/right to it. Areed, a bit different than oil, but the concept remains the same.

As for oil...who really does own it? I mean Iraq and Kuwait fought of the oil both were pumping from the same well, and that continues to go on "old wells" "new wells" and who really owns what that comes from the ground? As I said here, you can own the land, someone else can own what is under it, or growing on it...Again, NOT saying it is right or wrong, but saying that attitude is there, and may or not be dangerous...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vietnam at least made some degree of sense as a part of the rigid Cold War mentality: "We have to fight the commies everywhere." And the Communists' "It is our duty to spread Marxist-Leninism throughout the world."

Iraq makes no sense whatsoever, not by any stretch of the imagination. Even if it is over oil, the US and UK could have secured it by doing business with Sodom, instead of killing him off and introducing chaos.

I am sure LP meant "our oil" in an enlightened global sense

.. not "our oil" in a greedy "f' them" sense.

:topic:

if I may help the L man out, "Each of us on our planet as an equal right to proper usage of our planets resources."

re water: I doubt any one would want to consume 10x as much water as another .. or take 10x as many breaths

10x as much VSOP is another matter, it's my VSOP & you can drink as much as I choose to pour for you.

in the US mineral rights are a separate asset of the land .. the 'approved usage' (zoning) of surface dirt can be sold with or without the mineral rights .. a resource easement so to speak.

the insurgents (& NVC 40 years ago) are motivated & fighting & dieing for a deeply held belief.

They fight for their culture, their society, their religion, their way of life.

They are fighting colonialist.

:yeahthat:

the Iraq army ( & the viet army 40 years ago) is getting a pay check from a check writer they dispise.

the vietnamese American War was also about colonialism .. french colnialism

the americans blamed it on communism ..

& to save the viets from communism the benevolent freedom defenders sprayed agent orange on the peasant's rice fields & napalmed their villages.

be like me or I'll kill your family was the benevolent imperialist's kindly proclamation regarding a different societal organization.

Hi,

"a bit different than oil, but the concept remains the same."

Sorry, but I disagree. Air is everywhere (and even in constant motion), oil is not.

Sanuk!

You cannot honestly deny that many parties/people consider it "the world's oil Supply" and not really belonging to any one person or country, as it is just to valuable...again, not saying I agree, but, that is the fact. Then of course is the one guy who thinks it should belong to him...

Archived