Visa for India

Fidel

I had the same experience in Bangkok Indian Embassy as you did. Avoid it if possible

I'll third this. It takes a week IME, not matter if you have a letter from a Indian company requesting speedy service or not. They do not give a shit...

The Indian Embassy in Chicago gave me a five year biz visa same day, however.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Francisco Indian consulate gave me a 10 year visa back in 2001 or so - when my passport expired a couple years later I was told that I could transfer the visa to my new passport. To do that, though, I'd have to personally take both passports back to the consulate where the visa had been issued, and request transfer. Never did have time for an extra trip to SF, so... guess it will just expire in 2011. Could've avoided that piss smell in Bangkok, though, if I'd bothered to transfer it...

When you apply you need to have a photocopy of your passport details. They also want to sight your passport. You keep your passport for now,

You fill out the application form with photos and photocopy of passport.

Come back 4 business days later (so try to apply on Monday or Tuesday), hand in passport in morning, come back in afternoon for visa stamped in passport.

I think you get a standard 6 months and multiple entry for the same fee, so don't ask for anything less - you might end up needing the time for some reason or other.

:beer:

Always strikes me as ironic that some of the countries that are least desirable to visit have the most stringent (or at least cumbersome) visa restrictions... Not that India's not a great place, etc., etc., but other than the Pakistanis, who are they really trying to keep out or restrict?!

YimSiam

Well, so much for using an agent. I was basically refused a visa.

The Indian visa people told the agent on the day he applied that I should show up in person for an interview because of my occupation (and my address/Pak visa, I guess).

Agent said they couldn't contact me to tell me this (even though they had my Thai cell phone number on the application form).

So. India trip cancelled.

Archived