NCAA on True Visions

Pom Michael

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For somebody not really familiar with American football, like all sports, there are subtle aspects that go unnoticed and unappreciated. It really is a brutal game at the professional level. Even though the guys are padded just about everywhere, some serious injuries occur almost every week (broken bones, severe concussions, etc.). TV really doesn't convey the real physical aspects of the game. Get on a sideline or very close to the field, and you can almost FEEL the intensity/punishment. I think the average player is employed for about 3 years before somebody "better" comes along or the guy is unable to play any longer.

HH

BBing,

I'd love to watch a live game (in a stadium) someday.

I remember the Amsterdam Admirals when I was in Holland and this so called league (European League) with 8-9 teams from all over Europe (Frankfurt, Barcelona, ....)

A shame I never visited a game!

A few people on my Arsenal forum 'dissed' the sport as a weaker version of Rugby and the 'protective gear' made it a wussy sport. Interestingly enough the ones that said it had never played or really seen a game. The Brits that said it was the most brutal sport of any Brit sport, including Rugby, had all lived in the states at some point.

I know a few expats at the local here where I watch EPL who wouldn't let their sons play Pop Warner (american football league for 7-12 y.o) because they saw how brutal it is.

There are a few Maoris from Kiwi I wouldn't mind seeing in the NFL (amongst others) but I know if some of our better american football players played Rugby they'd shine. No doubt about that.

I've always said, college football is the closest Americans come to the passion shown for 'soccer' in England.

There are numerous colleges (my alma mater included) that have sold out EVERY home game for decades. I went to a uni that had a student population of 25k at the time, in a college town of 20k and we packed in 90k EVERY home game. No matter who we were playing, my whole 4 years there and have since. The same was replicated at UTenn, U of Fla, LSU, etc.

The amount of money that the alums give back to the school based solely for the football team is staggering. College teams fly by private plane to games nowadays. The biggest stadium in England holds about 75k I think (Old Trafford home of Man United) but Michigan and Tennessee host over 100k every week. My school (Auburn) gets that every game as well. Every week.

I don't remember the exact radius but I saw some place that if you drew a circle where the edges encompassed Knoxville at one extreme and Tallahassee on an another; there could be a sh!tload of people attending football games on a Saturday if all the big schools were playing at home:

Tennessee - 105K

Alabama - 92K

Auburn - 86K

Florida State

Florida - 91K

Georgia - 92K

South Carolina - 80K

Clemson - 81K

Total of 709K. This is just off the top of my head and doesn't include some of the "basketball schools" like NC State, Georgia Tech, UNC...

And that's just the Southeast corner of the U.S. Those yankees in the Big 10 can pack some pretty big stadiums as well.

SEC football is definitely one of the things I miss since moving overseas. Fortunately, you can get the Lincoln Financial Game of the Week for free on the internet which will do in a real crunch.

This is what I was talking about a few days ago and before the Sunday game. This on one team in one game.

â??ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - The Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and his chances of regaining a full range of body motion are very small, an orthopedic surgeon said Monday.

Everett's injury was not the only one sustained by the Bills. Cornerback Jason Webster (broken forearm) and free safety Ko Simpson (broken ankle) had surgery, and Jauron said both could miss the rest of the season. Also, linebacker Coy Wire has a sprained knee and is out indefinitelyâ?Â

HH

Archived