What does it cost to live in Singapore these days ?

torrenova

I was talking to someone the other day who gave me a contact for a potential contract in Singapore. Now I certainly hadn't thought about going back to the Uk for a job but if someone offered one in Sillypore, I could fly back at weekends etc. well perhaps not ebvery weekend but you get the picture.

So before I take it any further, what does a place near the financial centre (or easy travelling) cost per month ?

Living costs for a working day ?

I've no idea except for beer at around $S9 or something and you'll have to find me a place which serves something palatable as I think Tiger is shite.

Any help welcome as I would probably need to make a salary pitch.

Any idea what the tax situation is over there or whether you can just avoid it like in the UK ?

Went back a couple of months ago and suffered sticker shock.

A plate of noodles at a hawker center will set you back about $4-5 (100 -120Baht). Can of coke is a dollar (25 baht). Go upmarket a little and you're looking at double to triple that.

Consider renting a flat in one of the housing estates and taking the train, you wouldn't even want to consider driving or taxis (Now where is that icon of a dollar sign with wings flying off?)

Tax is structured similar to that of Thailand. Not sure if you get hit with any levies on top of that.

I couldn't get back here fast enough.

I was paying S$5K/month for my condo on River Valley Road. That is your biggest expense. You can negotiate with your company for travel budget instead of leasing a car. I did that and it worked out better. Got my company to pay my Singapore taxes as well as taxes on the money I got for expat related expenses.

Archived