airplane accident in Phuket

samak

The Bangkok Post says that due to the weather it took about ONE HOUR for rescue teams to arrive. No mention of any airport rescue team. The weather doesn't look all that bad in the video.

The Post also says most of the victims were knocked unconscious by the impact. They were suffocated in their seats by the smoke. Think how many more could have been saved if somebody had just been there to haul them out! One Thai survivor says he grabbed his unconscious wife and jumped out with her.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand all the fixation on One-Two Go being a "budget" airline. Most of the major crashes in the last ten years have been regular scheduled carriers. I've been on many domestic flights in the US on full price carriers when they landed in questionable weather.

I think of how casually I fly. I feel for all those people who only wanted a holiday on a beautiful beach but found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time...how surreal it must have seemed.

Being a keen aviation enthusiast, I've been keeping an eye on this today, and this crash jogged my memory of the American Airlines crash in Little Rock.

Link Here

Doesn't matter if you're flying One-To-Go, Thai, Qantas, Northwest, Emirates... if you hit a microburst on final approach, you're pretty much fucked.

Same Same with memory getting jogged - couldn't help recall my post on our Crash Landing in Bangkok in an old 747 - do believe I was quite lucky.

May be my imagination but on many of my recent business trips (in the US anyway) I'd swear they seem to be landing at faster speeds nowadays rather than the "smooth landings" I used to remember as being more common (maybe trying to make up for all the delays these days)...

I was always tempted to take those budjet airlines to Phuket but then always chickened out for Thai Airways.Better to pay a little more and be safe

In this case it wouldn't have mattered, Flack.

If *ANY* airline's plane was caught in that microburst (if that's what it was) it would have been a gonner.

And, as another poster said, most crashes in recent times have been full-service airlines, not low-cost airlines - TAM Brazil, Garuda, Kenya Air, Delta Connection, American... etc.

And remember the "safest" airline in the world - Qantas - having a little mishap at Don Meuang when the aircraft ran off the runway resulting in a 100 Million $ Repair Job

there is no guarantee that any Airline will not be involved in a crash due to various reasons.

no guarantee that because it has a 'bigger' name,'bigger' reputation and costs more money that it is safer.

your just as likely to die in a Ferrari as in a Mini Cooper.

when it's your time,it's your time.........

Having worked as head of weather station on airports for 4 years I have to correct a few statements:

- Airports (yes, even in Thailand) have to comply with many regulations, airports services like ATC, weathermen etc... have to be qualified (even in Thailand) and have to undergo regular training and evaluation courses which are not enforced by thais but by global organizations.

possible explanations here:

- Mechanical failure (it happens)

- Human failure, could be the ATC, weather station, pilots.

- Unexpected local weather phenomena.

Now do not believe the real cause will never be known, they will have to find out what happened or they could face an airport shutdown, airline taken to court etc.....

Archived