airplane accident in Phuket

samak

never had a problem landing on Phuket,but then again never when it has been raining.

Nothing is known 'til it's known, but I have always had an aversion to flying old planes on budget airlines in these parts. Bad weather landings yet again seem to be a prevailing theme. And Phuket now has a list of major crashes at it's airport since the mid 80's.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 swedes a young man and a woman both 18 are still missing.

CW, no way mobile phones can cause an accident, the ban to use mobiles in airplanes will soon be lifted. The reason for forbid mobiles was that the airlines wanted to have an own system for mobile calls where you used your credit card for expensive calls. A mobile is normal using 0.1 W, max 1.0 W, if you think about how much radiation you have around the airfields in the bigger cities many airplanes would crash every day if it was true... :evil:

Both pilot and copilot died...

Bangkok Post

Today

Link

PHUKET CRASH TOLL RISES TO 90

Bangkok Post

A One-Two-Go Airlines passenger jet with 130 people aboard crashed and burned while landing at Phuket Airport in foul weather Sunday afternoon. The death toll rose to 90 on Monday with confirmation that both the pilot and co-pilot died.

There were at least 42 survivors, including 11 Thais, six Irish nationals, six Britons, three Australians, three Iranians, two Swedes, one German and a Dutch national. They were admitted to various Phuket hospitals.

"Five are in critical condition. Some have burns to 60 percent of their body," Bangkok Phuket hospital coordinator Piyannooch Anantakdee told the Reuters news agency.

The pilot and co-pilot were said to be among the survivors, leading to a statement by Phuket deputy governor Vorapot Rajsima that 88 people were confirmed dead. On Monday, the airline said both cockpit crew had died along with most of the passengers in the front part of the MD-82, a twin-engined jet evolution of the popular DC9 workhorse.

"Nearly half the passengers were foreign tourists," said one survivor, Nong Khaonuan. In a TV interview, he said. "I've flown on many airplanes before and I can say there was something strange about our landing. We seemed to drop down too fast."

There was hope that many survived after TiTV showed two foreigners being carried away to local hospital. But the fire that ripped through the crashed aircraft apparently claimed dozens of lives.

The MD82 plane of the budget airline skidded off the runway after landing on a flight from Don Muang airport in Bangkok, and crashed into trees, bursting into fire.

"The fire was throughout the airplane," said Phuket Deputy Governor Worraphot Ratsrimaa. "We expect that at least 90 per cent of the passengers died."

"The plane was landing and slid off the runway. We are rescuing people and carrying injured people to hospitals," said Pol Lt Sokchai Limcharoen, a police officer in the area in an early report.

Chaisak Angsuwan, director general of the Air Transport Authority of Thailand said the aircraft broke in two as it attempted to land at Phuket airport in bad weather.

Chaisak said that there was heavy rain when flight OG269 of parent Orient Thai Airways traveling from Bangkok's Don Muang airport to Phuket attempted to make a landing. Planes in both Orient Thai and One-Two-Go livery use the OG flight identifier.

"The visibility was poor as the pilot attempted to land. He decided to make a go-around but the plane lost balance and crashed,". he said. "The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two. It is expected that there will be deaths.

"The airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket -strong wind and heavy rain -maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly," said Chaisak.

Witnesses said the airline was using its usual MD-82 twin-engine passenger jet aircraft, a model of the McDonnell-Douglas DC9. One-Two-Go owned seven such planes, which it used for frequent flights around Thailand, including six each day from Bangkok to Phuket and return.

Airport officials and rescue workers are still working to help the victims from the plane which caught fire after it crashlanded and skidded off the runway.

Authorities said there were 123 passengers and five crew members on board when the plane crashed at about 3:35pm Sunday afternoon.

Weather in Phuket has been bad for several days, with thunderstorms and high wind gusts at times.

This was the plane that crashed:

HS-OMG McDonnell Douglas MD-82; c/n 49183; ex N912TW; exported to Thailand 13-Mar-07; regd 21-Mar-07 to Orient Thai Airlines Co. Ltd [suvarnabhumi]; noted at Jakarta 26-Mar-07; f/n at Don Muang 15-Apr-07; current

Bought by TWA, first reg'd 20 Dec 1983; sold to American Airlines 2 Dec 2001. Link

Cheers,

SD

I remember being on a BKK to Rangoon flight once in extremely bad weather. The pilot aborted moments before touch-down, I mean undercarriage was even down and locked. Pilot apologized but insisted that passenger safety was the number one priority. Reassured us not to worry as there was enough fuel to return to BKK. It was Thai Airlines flight. So does the budget of the airline play a significant role here? Maybe they didn't have enough fuel to divert the flight? There are conflicting reports now about the weather conditions. I think the transport minister is claiming 11 knot winds and 4 km visibility. Not what you would call adverse weather conditions. But it is coming from a Government official.... :liar:

weather condition in Phuket for landing planes can be very challenging.

from the maybe around 30 times i flew into Phuket, i had several rather bumpy landings under heavy rain and wind. it also happens several times that plane had to wait 10-15 minutes until the worst part of the thunderstorm was over. once we could make a last minute approach, otherwise the plane would have been diverted to Krabi.

Phuket is regarding weather influence the worst airport i know.

Being a keen aviation enthusiast, I've been keeping an eye on this today, and this crash jogged my memory of the American Airlines crash in Little Rock.

Link Here

Doesn't matter if you're flying One-To-Go, Thai, Qantas, Northwest, Emirates... if you hit a microburst on final approach, you're pretty much fucked.

Archived