canned corned beef - English?

BKKanalist

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sayjann - Spam is on the same shelf in Tops - and it's about the same price. There's also a Hickory Smoked version of it. I think Spam is becoming ever more popular in a sort of 'ironic' (shock quotes deliberate)and I'm all for that. Memories of the 70's and all that...jumpers for goal posts. Give it a go in a hash. I'd imagine it would be quite good.

Branston pickle? Yes. Oh, yes.

Piccalilli - the yellowy, cauliflowery, awesomely excellent with cheese, is truly excellent.

SD,

Am I right in thinking that corned beef in the US is different to what I mean? I think I had a discussion with on eof the American lads down here on similar lines.

WARNING: To novice openers of tinned corned beef. Be very careful. I can't remember if running cold water or hot water over the tin helps it slide out (but it tells you on the tin's label.) Don't do it when pissed or anything.

Am I right in thinking that corned beef in the US is different to what I mean? I think I had a discussion with on eof the American lads down here on similar lines.

There's tins of corned beef hash (generally just mushed corned beef with little cubes of potatoes).

But infinitely more popular and tasty in the US is a brisket, which I always assumed to be of Irish origin, but is apparently Jewish per this. Silverside, I think the Aussies call it. Sold in the States with a spice packet, ready to be dropped into boiling water (tho' I generally add more spices). Here's a recipe:

[color:blue]INGREDIENTS:

* 9 lb.+ brisket of beef, cut in half

* 2 cans of beer, (24 ounces)

* cold water to cover

* garni bag (2 tablespoons pickling spice, the spices packed with the brisket, 10 whole peppercorns, 7 whole cloves, 3 bay leaves crumbled, fresh parsley chopped)

* 2 large onions halved w/skins

* 5 cloves of garlic crushed w/skins

* 3 TBL dry mustard

* 1/4 C brown sugar

PREPARATION:

Cut brisket in half; rinse off and put in large kettle and cover with cold water; bring to boil and cook 15 minutes. Discard water. Make garni bag (put ingredients into cheescloth and tie with string).

To the brisket, add the beer, cold water to cover, garni bag, the large halved onions, garlic, mustard, and brown sugar. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Do this the day before so the brisket will have great flavor. Save the water and the garni bag. Always keep brisket in the cooked liquid. Serving day, put carrots and potatos in smaller pots and ladle liquid into them to cook them, put cabbage cut in fourths into pot with brisket and cook until cabbage is tender.[/color]

Slices of corned beef brisket on nice fresh bread with wholegrain mustard is heavenly (tho' your hash recipe sounds good too).

Then there's pastrami, smoked corned beef brisket with a black pepper crust :up: :up: . Yummy.

Cheers

SD

SD,

WARNING: To novice openers of tinned corned beef. Be very careful. I can't remember if running cold water or hot water over the tin helps it slide out (but it tells you on the tin's label.) Don't do it when pissed or anything.

I always have trouble opening canned meats like that, maybe just don't do it enough? English or not, my ex used to ship that stuff to the P.I. by the case! My adopted mother's family (from Russia) loves this stuff, and Spam even more so...no ideas why...?

piccalli and cheese sandwich is a real treat.

i love the big bits of cauliflower and the whole onions...........and so tangy.

but back to Branstone pickle,i like to heat up a tin of beans and then just mix it with 2 tablespoons of pickle..........tasty.

and i normally eat it straight from the saucepan....

tins of spam etc.

do they sell the stuff in Thailand like it was in the UK?.

the key and you used to peel away the top by turning the key,or is the new ring-pull top?.

i remember the best way of getting the meat out was to get a knife and run it around the inside edge of the tin and loosen the meat and with a bit of pressure the meat would slide out.

Archived