Cholera Vaccine

PP

Anyone know where in Pattaya I can get some cholera vaccine?

I'm off to Viet Nam in a couple of weeks and there's a bit of an epedemic there.

Tried Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, Pattaya Memorial and Pattaya International as well as the 3 in Rayong and nobody has it.

I'm off to Viet Nam in a couple of weeks and there's a bit of an epedemic there.

Tried Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, Pattaya Memorial and Pattaya International as well as the 3 in Rayong and nobody has it.

no, no, no! cholera vaccine is bullshit. for one, it gives you a mild form of the symptoms of the disease for a day or so...not fun! plus it's only 20% effective against the disease. not worth it.

preahko

Cholera epidemic losing its sting

13/11/2007

VietNamNet Bridge â?? The number of cholera patients in the north sharply fell last week but health experts still worry about its spread to the central region and the south.

In the past three days, only three cholera patients have been reported. The National Institute for Contagious and Tropical Diseases is now taking care of 99 diarrhea patients only, compared to 200 several days ago. The number of new patients arriving at the institute has been between 15-20 per day in the past three days, a reduction of nearly two-thirds. The number of patients at Bach Mai hospital is 40.

In Phu Tho, Nghe An and Hai Duong, there have been no new cases reported for some days. In Hanoi, where the epidemic is the strongest, the number of new patients is falling.

As many as 520 diarrhea sufferers were discharged from hospitals on November 12, according to Dr. Ly Ngoc Kinh, head of the Treatment Department under the Ministry of Public Health.

Since cholera hit Vietnam three weeks ago there have been no reported deaths, showing the countryâ??s swift effort to control the epidemic.

Deputy Health Minister Trinh Quan Huan, who is also head of the National Steering Committee on Cholera Prevention, said eight government working groups had been established to examine and supervise the prevention of acute diarrhea in flood-hit areas in the countryâ??s central and southern regions.

The Ministry of Health has asked the World Health Organisation (WHO) to assist in identifying the infection source.

The ministry is also working with relevant agencies to supervise infected people, improve staff capacity in preventing the epidemic and raising awareness of food hygiene and disease control.

A total of 1,661 people from 14 provinces and cities nationwide have contracted diarrhea, including 204 cholera patients.

As many people in Hanoi want to use cholera vaccine as a disease prevention, Dr. Nguyen Huy Nga, Vice Head of the Preventive Health Agency, said that the Health Ministry advises people not to take cholera vaccine and Vietnam does not have cholera vaccine for service.

Nga said that the effectiveness of cholera vaccine is very low, with an efficacy of only 60-70%.

Another impact of cholera vaccination is that vaccinated people may feel invulnerable to cholera and avoid necessary precautions while the vaccine takes effect only 14-16 days after injection. The vaccine is only for highly risky areas and people who are about to go to cholera-hit zones.

Cholera Epidemic Losing Its Sting

-redwood

Are you a doctor preahko?

You state only 20% effectiveness but the doctors in Redwoods article quote 70% to 80%.

â??the vaccine takes effect only 14-16 days after injection. The vaccine is only for highly risky areas and people who are about to go to cholera-hit zones.â?Â

This doesnâ??t inspire me with confidence either as the vaccine is taken orally in 2 doses a week apart (according to the WHO) and I am going to a cholera hit zone which I would therefore consider a highly risky area.

â??As many people in Hanoi want to use cholera vaccine as a disease prevention, Dr. Nguyen Huy Nga, Vice Head of the Preventive Health Agency, said that the Health Ministry advises people not to take cholera vaccine and Vietnam does not have cholera vaccine for service.â?Â

So what heâ??s saying is you donâ??t need to take cholera vaccine because we donâ??t have any!!!!!!!!!

You probably cannot.

Back in 2003 when I was last required to get one for work, none of the Bangkok big hospitals offered this. One had to go to a recognized CDC (Communicable Disease Control) center in Thailand, at the time three choices in Bangkok (Suan Plu Immigration office, Don Muang airport or Klong Teoy port). Only cost 20B for the shot at the time. They also do Yellow fever!

"... * Traditional parenteral whole-cell (WC) cholera vaccine has never been recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) because of its low protective efficacy and its high reactogenicity.

* Currently available oral cholera vaccines (OCV) are safe and offer good protection (over 70%) for an acceptable period of time (at least one year).

* The use of OCV is considered as an additional public health tool to usually recommended cholera control measures such as provision of safe water and adequate sanitation.

* OCV use is recommended for populations to limit the risk of:

o occurrence of cholera outbreaks in displaced populations in endemic areas,

o spread and incidence of cholera during an outbreak....

Currently commercially available OCV (Annex 1)

* Live attenuated single-dose cholera vaccine CVD 103-HgR, Orochol-E®, contains a live attenuated strain derived from reference strain 569B (classical, O1, Inaba) presented in a single dose.

o Protective efficacy was reached 8 days after administration of the vaccine in a volunteer's challenge study.

o Therefore, use of the single dose OCV may be possible once an outbreak has started.

* Killed WC B subunit cholera vaccine (WC/rBS), Dukoral®, derived from mixtures of WC killed strains. They are given in two doses, 10-14 days apart.

o Protective efficacy is reached 10 days after the second dose.

o The two-dose OCV is currently not indicated for use once an outbreak has started.

Neither of the two vaccines protects against Vibrio cholerae O139..."

Source:

http://www.who.int/cholera/tsunami_choleravaccine/en/index.html

Also see:

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/infectious/cholera.html

It appears you need roughly 24 days before achieving full protection.

I seem to recall getting injected for Cholera when in the army, as I recall, I got sick within a few hours, and was laid up for a day or so. 70-80% effective, or even 20% is better than 0% if in an area prone for cholera or any disease. At least in my book.

Rather than looking for a vaccine, maybe request the drug by name? I would think any major hospital would have it...or maybe not. Might be worth trying the bigger BKK Hospitals if it is really an issue.

You're right Palatkik, Fascino have just told me that it can only be ordered by a doctor and then questions would be asked by the CDC as to why so it's unlikely to happen.

Not sure what Fascino is but the Bangkok hospitals told me to go to the CDC centers myself. I went to Suan Plu Immigration medical room and was given shots immediately. I needed both Cholera and Yellow Fever shots at time as I was traveling to West Africa. It was no big hassle and I don't recall any sickness. As for the usefulness of such shots these days I don't know.

The latest report I read on the WHO site says that they're 85% to 90% effective so I think definitely worthwhile as OH says.

Fascino is the big drug store on NOrth Road in Pattaya.

Anyway it seems a moot point now as I'd be there before the vaccine became effective anyway.

Archived