Worst case of two tier pricing????

kevkev1888

If your Thai is fairly fluent' date=' you can often get the Thai price. But that still shows they are screwing the tourists.

It's not just parks, palaces etc. There is a master of arts degree programme in EFL offered by the Language Institute at Thammasat University. From all I hear, it is quite good and not easy either. However, the tuition for Thais is precisely ONE-TENTH that paid by foreigners. If that is not ripping off the foreign devils, I don't know what is.

:([/quote']

I still don't get it. This two-tiered pricing is NOT a Thai thing. It happens everywhere. E.g., here's the UofM tuition schedule: http://www.umich.edu/~regoff/tuition/full.html#Prof_Med .

Cheers,

SD

Yes, there are many types of two-tiered pricing systems in the US and, I'm sure, in other Western countries giving breaks to "locals" in various ways...but the Thai policy of different national park admissions, etc., is 100% based on RACE, and very unapologetically so.

Thais are racist to the extreme, and they see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Note that the same word used in Thai to indicate "race" (chaat/�า�ิ) is also used for "nationality"...

preahko

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precisely. But most of my educated Thai colleagues seem to be unaware of this discrimination and express shock when they find out. One cute little colleague asked me one day why I didn't go to the university co-op and get my free jacket like everyone else. I explained that I was not allowed to be a member and buy shares (which paid at least 10% per annum!) since I wasn't Thai. She replied, "But why not? You're our colleague." Didn't matter. I was an evil white devil from some barbaric country in the west where people presumably live in trees and have dung for dinner.

:p

Guest lazyphil

i like the cambridge (we get tens if not hundreds of thousands of domestic and OS tourists here) method of payment to enter kings college chapel and the historic colleges etc. prove you live within a 12 mile radius you get in free whether your white black asian or martian, outsiders of the 12 mile radius pay be it if you are from barnsley or bangkok.

i like the cambridge (we get tens if not hundreds of thousands of domestic and OS tourists here) method of payment to enter kings college chapel and the historic colleges etc. prove you live within a 12 mile radius you get in free whether your white black asian or martian, outsiders of the 12 mile radius pay be it if you are from barnsley or bangkok.

Phil,

I am glsd you posted that, I remember from previous threads about this topic you have made referances to the pricing system in Cambridge but I was too lazy (had better things to do) than to search for it. Thanks, you saved me the time and effort.

You would think though if ferrang are paying 10x price that they would at least provide some of the information in english as well as thai?

They do. The bill.

If I remember correctly it didn't always used to be 10 x rip of at Thai NP's. In the old days, I remember riding a motorcy up Doi Inthanon national park freezing my balls off with some TG and was charged 20B along with the TG. I think farangs were supposed to pay 40B back then but they always let us off if with Thai's. Another reason I don't go to NP's any more.

And can you name some state or national parks in the US that charges different entrance fees for different nationalities? I've never encountered it at home. Here even my Thai government employee ID card isn't a guarantee I won't be zapped for a higher price. Holding permanent residency wouldn't guarantee it either.

Indeed, I visited Everglade National Park, Florida, paid 10 usd (400 baht) for 1 car regardless number of passengers for 1 week entrance and the care and state of that park was five star as compared to 0.5 star for Thai national parks.

They surely have a long way to go in Thailand for deserving my respect.

And although I hold a Thai drivers license I have not visited a NP for the last 5 years :thumbdown: .

Archived